Non-Certified Teacher/Non-Certified TeacherDate Posted:
Wexler/Grant School (PreK - 8) TITLE:
- Assistant Teacher (Local Union 3429)
- Associate Degree OR 60 college credits OR receive a qualifying score on the Parapro Assessment.CPR, First Aid Certified.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- The Assistant Teacher will assist in maintaining and facilitating a learning environment that supports the emotional, physical and intellectual development of each child.
- All recommendations for employment of Assistant Teachers must be approved by the New Haven Board of Education.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF JOB:
- Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board of Education's policy on evaluation of personnel.
- Adheres to federal, state and municipal physical health guidelines including immunization, employment physical and required health and safety training.The physical ability to frequently lift, move or hold children with a range of weight from 10-60 pounds (occasionally the job will require lifting, moving or holding children more than 60 pounds).The physical ability to participate in activities that may require lifting, reaching, squatting, climbing and sitting on the floor.The physical ability to respond quickly to emergencies or unexpected situations.The ability to maintain mental and physical alertness and the appropriate level of energy during the entire day.
Performs related duties as required.
- Assists the teacher in establishing and maintaining a safe, nurturing and developmentally appropriate classroom environment.Consults with teacher on plans and curriculum activities.Assists the teacher in preparing and maintaining classroom materials and supplies.Participates in all planned school activities, Staff meetings, Work Shops, etc. and takes responsibility for own personal growth.Observes the strengths and needs of each child and helps establish individual goals for each child.Works with teacher to ensure that the classroom environment supports and respects the cultural backgrounds, languages, individual interest and learning style of each child.Assists teacher in planning, implementing and documenting curriculum activities in all developmental areas: physical, emotional, cognitive and social.Works closely with teacher to provide experiences and an atmosphere that encourages each child's self-concept.Attends all parent meetings as required.Collaborates with teacher and other staff to ensure that parents are involved in the classroom and other areas of the program.