Elementary School Teaching/Special EducationDate Posted:
Sheridan Elementary School Date Available:
08/31/2021 Behavior Management Specialist Qualifications:
- Minimum, Bachelor's degree in special education or a related field
- Hold a valid, and current Pennsylvania Teaching Certificate (special education) preferred
- Satisfactory work record & criminal/child abuse clearances (Acts 34 and 151), FBI clearances
- Experience in public education is preferred.
- To perform this job successfully, the Behavior Management Specialist-Special Education (BMSSE) must possess the ability to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. The employer may make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director of Special Education and Special Education Administrative Team, the Behavior Management Specialist - Special Education (BMS-SE) assists in the assessing, planning, coordinating, and delivering specially designed instruction and positive behavior support plans for eligible students. In addition, the BMS-SE participates in professional development activities as prescribed by the Executive Director of Special Education. The BMS-SE achieves and maintains certification in professionally recognized and approved de-escalation techniques. The funding for this position is under IDEA. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- To assist in team decisions regarding behavioral support services for specific eligible students (e.g., using functional behavioral assessments, positive behavior support plans, and behavior modification methodologies).
- To implement behavioral and crisis management plans designed for specific eligible students.
- To defuse behaviors using appropriate and approved de-escalation techniques (e.g., Crisis Prevention Intervention techniques).
- To teach proactive behaviors, for example, social skills training and coping skills as assigned by supervisor.
- To maintain data on student behaviors through anecdotal records, charting behavior, level systems, and other appropriate data collection systems.
- To provide instructional support, as appropriate, to special needs students in conjunction with special education teachers and staff.
- To participate in various related training and to maintain appropriate certification in approved de-escalation techniques.
- To support the implementation of applied behavioral analysis from theory to practice when implementing behavior intervention plans.
- To collect and interpret behavioral data concerning students presenting challenging behaviors and use the data to inform changes to behavioral plans.
- To work in a collaborative team approach to resolve student concerns.
- To be knowledgeable of the legal approaches and practices associated with the manifestation determination review process, functional behavioral assessment, and behavior intervention planning.
- To be knowledgeable and adhere to the rules of FERPA and other practices related to confidentiality.
- To adhere to the rules and mandates of IDEA, Pa Code 22: Chapters 14 and 15 regulations.
- To perform duties as assigned.
Share in our community! Grow with our students! Join our district today and be a part of our future!
The Allentown School District is committed to excellence! The richness of The Allentown School District's diversity is strengthened by its central role in educating our students for America's future through academic excellence and celebrating the culturally responsive, athletic and artistic range of talent in the schools. ASD students originate from 51 countries and speak 26 languages.
The Allentown School District offers a comprehensive benefits package to those who qualify.
This may include*
o Medical Insurance
o Dental Insurance
o Vision Reimbursement
o Tuition Reimbursement
o Personal and Sick time
o PSERS Retirement Fund
*Eligibility for specific benefits will be outlined in each labor group's specific collective bargaining agreement.
For more information on this position, please read the full description document.