Tacoma Public Schools
Expected Start Date: September 1, 2021
FTE: 1.0 total
Hours per day: 8 total
Salary Level: PA3 $18.04/hour
Union/Days per year: Para 182 + 11 holidays Active
Benefits: This job has the full range of benefits offered by Tacoma Public Schools.
Additional Information: This position will support in an Educational Assistant 2 assignment for .75 FTE (6 hours/day), and Ed Asst 2 Crossing Guard at 0.25 FTE (2 hours/day), for a total of 1.0 FTE.
Ed Asst 2: This position assists a certificated teacher or staff member. This position tutors students individually or in small groups; monitors students in the classroom, at lunch, in the playground, and/or boarding buses; and provides general classroom and/or office assistance, as assigned for 6 hours/day.
Ed Asst 2 Crossing Guard: This position monitors the activities of elementary students at crosswalks and assists students in crossing the street safely. This responsibility is expected to be 1 hour in the am, and 1 hour in the pm.
1. Tutors children individually or in small groups on a variety of subjects, as assigned; compiles, reviews, and records student assignments and progress.
2. Monitors student behavior in the classroom, lunchroom, during detention, and/or at recess; disciplines students according to procedures; monitors students entering or leaving the building, between classes, and/or boarding buses.
3. Assists teacher with classroom management; assists in preparing lessons; duplicates, organizes, distributes, and files learning materials; assists teacher in preparing student progress reports.
4. Provides school office assistance, as assigned; answers telephone and takes messages, files, duplicates materials, sorts mail, types bulletins or other documents; provides basic first aid in the absence of the school health room personnel.
5. Administers district tests, records student scores, and reports results.
6. May pull students from classroom to tutor in assigned subjects for brief periods as assigned; may move between classrooms throughout the day to tutor various small groups of students for brief periods as assigned.
7. Attends building staff meetings; provides information regarding students; attends program meetings and workshops.
OTHER JOB DUTIES
1. May travel between schools to work with students, as assigned.
2. Performs related duties as assigned to assist the teachers or administrative staff.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of childhood academic, social and physical development.
Knowledge of assigned subject areas.
Ability to establish positive relationships and tutor school-aged youth.
Ability to obtain, clarify and exchange information.
Ability to organize and coordinate activities with assistance of classroom teacher.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people multi-cultural, diverse socio-economic setting.
Required Licenses/Special Requirements
Assistants working with the health impaired may be required to obtain a first aid certificate and training in CPR.
Required to work outdoors in inclement weather; required to deal with upset students; may be exposed to infectious disease.
Job Locator Number: D2401
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Tacoma School District administration has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the primary functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
Tacoma Public Schools does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employees have been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights Coordinator: Lisa Nolan, 253-571-1252, email@example.com; Title IX Coordinator, Elementary: Christa Erolin, 253-571-1318, firstname.lastname@example.org; Title IX Coordinator, Secondary: Eric Hogan, 253-571-1191, email@example.com; 504 Coordinator: Elementary, Elise Friedrich-Nielsen, firstname.lastname@example.org, 253-571-1096; Secondary, Megan Nelson, email@example.com, 253-571-1003. Mailing address: P.O. Box 1357, Tacoma, WA 98401-1357.
HRInfo@tacoma.k12.wa.us, (253) 571-1250