Elementary School Teacher
- Job Type
Bed-Stuy New Beginnings:
Bedford Stuyvesant New Beginnings Charter School is an elementary and middle school proudly serving the students in our neighborhood in Brooklyn, affectionately known worldwide as 'Bed-Stuy'. Opened in 2010, we serve more than 700 scholars in Kindergarten - Eighth Grade through the pursuit of 21st century learning, project based & service learning, and traditional coursework strategies, students will be prepared to succeed in academically competitive schools as well as become responsible citizens of the global community.
We offer you the opportunity to change the future: one scholar at a time. Each BSNBCS Scholar (present and future) deserves the chance to receive the quality education they need to help prepare them for academic success and growth. You also deserve to work in environment that is collaborative, fosters professional growth and development, and that empowers each staff member to take ownership of the learning environment in their classrooms or functional area. This is your chance to join a great team with the intent of teaching young minds, helping our scholars grow, work in key roles within the school, and to develop your career.
Our Elementary Teacher:
We are looking for a dedicated Elementary Teacher who will take a creative and entrepreneurial approach to teaching and bring the learning environment to life for our scholars. Our community of teachers strives to create a space that encourages student ownership in the learning process and that encourages students to think their way through answers while exploring their insights and curiosities about the lesson material.
We foster a culture of excitement about learning for our students by partnering together to create vibrant learning environments focused on project- and inquiry-based learning. We have a co-teaching model that allows our classroom teachers to partner together to ensure our scholars are engaged with rich and rigorous lesson material. Ours is a collaborative environment that is designed to help our scholars engage in their studies as well as in their natural curiosities and to embrace a culture that is based on restorative practices; allowing our scholars to feel connected, empowered, and respected.
A day in the life of our Elementary Teachers:
- You will collaborate with your fellow teachers to ensure our curriculum meets and exceeds the common core standards of learning.
- You will partner with your co-teacher to create and implement creative lesson plans based on the needs of your scholars and that are in accordance with the BSNBCS Mission.
- You will work closely with peers and school administrators to develop multifaceted curriculum that integrates multiple subjects and approaches to meet the needs of your scholars.
- We want you to take an entrepreneurial approach to your curriculum, teaching methods, and optional duties that allows you to be flexible, forward looking, and creative.
- You’ll need to be aware of the school’s strategic initiatives and incorporate them into your work to ensure compliance with the BSNBCS Mission.
- You’ll regularly report student progress while maintaining accurate and up to date records related to scholars’ achievement and performance.
- You’ll take an active role in your professional development by identifying and creating opportunities that expand your skills as an educator.
- Communication is important, so you will communicate frequently with scholars, parents, colleagues, and other school staff members with information that is pertinent to your scholars and their performance.
- BNSBCS puts a big focus on our community, so you will need to take an active role in community outreach.
- You’ll need a strong understanding of and ability to implement the BSNBCS Mission, Vision and Values.
- Learning should be fun, so we want you to enjoy teaching and make every effort to make the learning environment engaging and exciting for your scholars!
What you need to bring to the table:
- You MUST have a valid and current New York State Teacher Certification. (Childhood Education Grades 1-6)
- You MUST possess at least a bachelor’s degree; preferably in Education or a related field.
- You MUST clear a fingerprint background check to work in any school in NY, so we require all teachers to be cleared through
- prior to starting employment with us. This cannot be waived and must be complete PRIOR to starting employment with us.
- You must have a measurable and proven track record of teaching success in a NY District or Charter School
- You must have at least two years of classroom teaching experience, preferably in an urban school.
What we offer you:
- A full-time position with a competitive salary that is commensurate with your experience and qualifications
- Amazing benefits! As a member of the team, your care and well being are a top priority. You will have a great benefits package that is not only affordable but includes all the perks and benefits you deserve!
- The opportunity to shape the future. Each of our scholars has the potential to do great things. All they need is you to help show them how they can succeed!
- A friendly and collaborative working environment: Our classrooms use a co-teaching model that encourages partnership and collaboration with your fellow teachers. We provide weekly professional learning community engagement and opportunities to participate in school wide activities!
- The change to grow as a professional: You will be offered many opportunities to refine your skills and grow as a professional educator through quality professional development opportunities offered throughout the year!
- A learning environment that is innovative and creative: You will be empowered to be to take ownership of the learning environment in your classroom through 21st learning that is focused in project based, and inquiry based learning systems!
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. Once we have received your application, we will review your qualifications and experience as quickly as possible and get back to you within one week of submission.