Teacher-Mild Moderate Needs
Teaching: Special Education/Teacher-Mild Moderate Needs
Cherry Drive Elementary School
Open Until Filled
SALARY INFORMATION: SEE CERTIFIED SALARY SCHEDULE
STANDARD HOURS PER WEEK: 40
MONTHS PER YEAR: 9
JOB CODE: 176099
POSITION TYPE: REPLACEMENT - PERMANENT REGULAR
LOCATION: THORNTON, CO.
SUMMARY: Learning Specialists design and facilitate specially designed math, literacy and social/emotional instruction for students with disabilities and demonstrate competencies in advocacy, assessment, collaboration and compliance. Learning Specialists deliver specialized instruction inside and outside of the general education classroom, and consult and collaborate with general educators and other members of the special education team. Learning Specialists act as case managers and develop IEPs for students. They are responsible for monitoring progress toward goals and supporting implementation of accommodations in the general education setting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advocate for students with disabilities to ensure access to learning opportunities and equity in discipline processes
- Model and promote inclusive language
- Administer formal assessments and analyze/report data in order to support the IEP Team in determination of eligibility of students with disabilities
- Develop and monitor progress of SMART learning goals for each student
- Collect and analyze universal data to determine student growth patterns and support IEP development
- Collaborate with classroom teachers, school psychologists, speech/language pathologists, school social workers and other special education service providers to develop integrated plans for students with disabilities
- Collaborate with families to ensure students' strengths, needs, services and progress are regularly communicated
- Implement IDEA and ECEA regulations
- Develop and implement legally compliant, instructionally sound IEPs
- Ensure IEP implementation across settings
- Abide by all district/policies/procedures
- Identify students' current instructional levels
- Develop appropriately ambitious trajectories toward grade level standards
- Plan lessons incorporating evidence-based practices and identify resources for instruction
- Implement specially-designed instruction in a continuum of special education/general educational environments
- Understand or be willing to learn the foundations of literacy instruction
- Understand or be willing to learn how math instruction relies on the integration of knowledge to solve problems
- Differentiate instruction for learners with diverse needs
- Demonstrate an understanding of student behavior and classroom management structures
- Participate in ongoing professional development sessions
EDUCATION AND RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree or higher.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years old.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS or CERTIFICATIONS:
- Criminal background check required for hire.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain from, or be in process with, the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) for a valid Colorado Educator License within 30 days of hire.
- Must possess the required license and endorsement. If highly qualified by content test or semester hours, with no endorsement: applicant must possess a Colorado educator license with a passing score on a CDE approved content test or 24 semester hours in specific core content classes as determined by Human Resources.
Preference given to candidates with ELL Training and/or an ESL or (LDE) Linguistically Diverse Education Endorsement.
Changes to the READ Act require that all K-3 teachers and staff responsible for teaching reading to students in grades K-3 complete evidence-based training in teaching by Jan. 31, 2022.
SALARY INFORMATION (FOR EXTERNAL CANDIDATES):
- All salary placement on our Certified Salary schedule is dependent on the employees' education and/or work experience. Certified/licensed employees will be granted one (1) year for each full year of contractual and/or work experience up to a maximum of ten (10) years, which includes in-district and out-of-district contractual teaching and/or work experience. Responsibility for verification of outside experience shall rest with the individual employee. For further explanation of salary placement please refer to our Certified Master Agreement that can be found on our district website.
Adams 12 Five Star Schools is committed to providing an environment that promotes a healthy employee population able to serve our students at the highest level. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance as well as other programs for benefit eligible employees. The employee assistance program, voluntary life insurance through PERA, and 401(k), 403(b) & 457(b) plans are available to all employees regardless of hours worked and are available immediately (upon hire date).
To learn more about our benefits including paid time off, please see our Benefits Overview.
THIS POSTING IS NOT INCLUSIVE OF THE JOB DESCRIPTION.