The Burlington School District has an immediate opening for a HVAC/DDC Controls Technician. The HVAC/DDC Controls Technician performs skilled technical work in the maintenance, repair, replacement, and installation of heating, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment, controls and distribution systems.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
This section outlines the fundamental job functions that must be performed in this position. This includes:
- Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Physical and Mental/Reasoning Requirements
- Work Environment
These areas state the underlying requirements that an employee must meet in order to perform these essential functions. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Installs, troubleshoots, and repairs heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration units, in cluding chillers, boilers, and heat pumps.
- Troubleshoots malfunctioning heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration systems to determine the cause of the malfunction.
- Performs scheduled maintenance inspections, and adjusts, cleans, and calibrates various systems to assure proper system operations.
- Repairs wiring and electronic components associated with automated building management systems.
- Replaces expansion valves, compressors, motors, coil units, and other component parts.
- Cleans refrigerant systems from hermetic burnouts, evacuates, and charges systems.
- Troubleshoots and repairs direct digital and pneumatic control systems.
- Checks distribution systems for proper velocity, volume, temperature, pressure, etc.
- Balances air and water treatment systems.
- Determines cause of and corrects condensation problems.
- Provides technical assistance with the design of HVAC systems including installations and modifications to existing systems.
- Assists in training other technicians and staff in preventative maintenance of HVAC systems.
- Prepares records and reports describing procedures, actions taken and recommended solutions.
- Prepares and submits requests for supplies and equipment.
- Responds to emergency service requests.
- Maintain a safe learning environment and take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Attend scheduled staff/faculty meetings.
- Participate productively in staff meetings and professional committees.
- Participate in scheduled inservice days.
- Use discretion in discussing school affairs, recognizing the value of positive school-community relations.
- Comply with Board and administrative policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Prepare/Complete appropriate reports/paperwork.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
- Certification Required:
- Type S C3 License
- Natural Gas Certification
- Refrigerant Recovery Certification.
- Valid Driver's License
- Certification Preferred:
- HVAC Certification for State of Vermont
- Type S Electrical License and/or Plumbing License
- Minimum Required: A minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of progressively responsible experience working with complex HVAC systems with DDC Controls and equipment including, but not limited to, chillers, boilers, package units, VAV systems (direct digital, pneumatic and automated control systems
- Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge: Advanced knowledge of the subject matter. The work calls for sufficient comprehension of the subject area to solve unusual as well as common work problems, to be able to advise on technical matters and to serve as a resource on the subject for others in the organization.
- List Specific Skills And/Or Abilities Required:
- Proficient in computer applications - word processing; spreadsheets; email; internet.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, plans, sketches, blueprints, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of an organization.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Familiar with laws, regulations, and codes governing electrical and HVAC in Vermont.
In addition to great health benefits and paid time off, this full-time position starts at $17.50 - $29.00 an hour. The hours for this 1st shift position are primarily 6:00 am - 2:30 pm Monday through Friday during the school year. Hours are subject to change at any time to reflect facility needs.
Must be able to pass a background check. E.O.E. Equal Opportunity:
The Burlington School District provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.Primary Location:
Property Services Salary Range:
$17.50 - $29.00 / Per Hour Shift Type: