Teach New York City
The New York City Department of Education is the nation’s largest public school system, serving 1.1 million students from every background and corner of the globe. With more than 1,800 schools and a city full of resources, New York City teachers are uniquely empowered to develop their skills and impact their community. Nowhere else will you find as many opportunities to find your fit and build a career that excites you.
New York City hires talented and qualified teachers from a wide range of certification areas. While our hiring needs change each year, we always seek certified and passionate teachers for high-need subjects, including:
- Special Education for Grades B-2, 1-6, and 7-12
- Bilingual Education
- English as a New Language
- Foreign Language
Compensation and Benefits
- New York City public schools offer competitive starting salaries which range based on education and years of teaching experience. A teacher with a Master’s Degree and no prior teaching experience would start at $68,652 and at $61,070 with a Bachelor’s Degree and no prior teaching experience.
- Comprehensive Health Insurance Plan (Medical, Dental, Vision, and Prescription Drugs)
- Enrollment in pension plan
- Opportunities for additional income through a wide array of incentives and school positions that will stretch and challenge you as an educator
To teach in New York City, candidates must first meet the following requirements:
- Possess or be on track to earn a New York State Department of Education (NYSED) teaching certification by the start of the 2021-22 school year. If you are not already NYSED-certified, there are several ways to obtain certification.
- Complete an online teacher application at TeachNYC.net
One application gives you access to networking resources and hiring opportunities at schools across all 1,800 New York City schools. Learn more about our application requirements and apply to teach in New York City today!