Iowa City Community School District Teacher Librarian QUALIFICATIONS
- Master's degree in library science with strong technology background
- Iowa school teacher librarian certification
- Previous teaching experience
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the District may find appropriate and acceptable.
n/a JOB GOALS
Develop and implement a comprehensive library program in order to enhance student learning, promote the overall efficiency of the school system, and maximize the educational opportunities available to each child. PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES
In the area of teaching and learning,
the teacher librarian shall:
- Create a safe and orderly teaching and learning environment in the library; establish a friendly, productive atmosphere.
- Teach the library curriculum as established by the district's library curriculum framework, working collaboratively with classroom teachers to integrate the curriculum into classroom activities whenever possible.
- Design and deliver instruction for diverse learning abilities, styles and needs, and model and promote effective and creative teaching strategies.
- Assist with building-level curriculum development by participating in team planning and teaching, providing instructional resources expertise and support.
- Promote and provide assistance and instruction, training and/or support to students and staff in using a variety of resources, including various technologies and literature.
- Promote and encourage reading and literature; provide reading guidance and encourage reading for both enjoyment and information.
- Help students become independent users of information.
In the area of library management,
the teacher librarian shall:
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Develop and implement a comprehensive library program plan, describing goals and objectives; assess progress annually.
- Communicate library program goals and initiatives clearly to building principal and staff, and district library coordinator.
- Direct library services and operations.
- Lead, coordinate, train, and supervise library staff and volunteers.
- Administer the building library budget.
- Direct collection development (selection, weeding, organization) so that the collection remains responsive to the diverse needs of the students and the curriculum.
- Select resources (print, non-print, electronic) following the guidelines and criteria articulated in the district Selection Policy.
- Plan and manage the storage, inventory, distribution and circulation of all library resources and equipment to provide maximum access for students and staff.
- Organize and maintain records of acquisitions, holdings, and circulation for resources and equipment.
- Develop and direct a building-wide technology plan, including resource allocation and deployment, training, services, and support.
- Ensure that equipment is maintained and repaired as needed.
- Communicate with the school community about the resources and services of the library, encouraging and facilitating their use.
- Participate in building and district-level meetings and professional development, committee work, and curriculum writing.
- Remain current in the profession through professional reading, associations, conference attendance.
- Other duties as assigned
186/184 Contract Days. Salary and calendar year to be established by the Board of Education.EVALUATION
: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the District's policy on Evaluation, State Statute, and any applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement.