Woodlands School, founded in 1936, has been a public charter school through the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee since 2003. It currently enrolls more than 600 students in grades K4 through eighth grade at two campus sites in a multi-aged learning environment, Bluemound and State Street. It is known for achieving academic excellence within a safe and nurturing environment. The curriculum centers around “The Woodlands Way” which is a character-based education approach that helps a diverse population of students recognize and develop strong and positive values. It is based on the idea that strong character education creates happy, sensitive, creative children who grow into adults who are morally and socially responsible.
Summary (or Purpose)
he Teaching Assistant will assist the classroom teacher with delivering curriculum to students in grades K4 – 8th and presenting subject matter to students using lectures, discussions, or supervised role-playing methods. They will tutor and assist children individually or in small groups in order to help them master material and to reinforce learning concepts presented by teachers. The incumbent will provide full support to classroom management and oversee the safety of students.
- Assist the classroom teacher with delivering curriculum to students
- Tutor and assist children individually or in small groups in order to help them master material and to reinforce learning concepts presented by teachers
- Supervise students in classrooms, halls, cafeterias, school yards, and gymnasiums, or on field trips.
- Additional duties within the building such as car pool supervision, etc.
- Help prepare lesson materials, bulletin board displays, exhibits, equipment, and demonstrations
- Associates Degree – OR – 48 College credits
- Experience working with children
The Teaching Assistant position reports directly to the building principal.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required:
- To talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Full benefits package available with includes, medical, dental and eye care. 10.5 month position
- Hourly salary $15/ hour
- Eight paid holidays