Iowa City Community School District
Elementary Supervisory Paraeducator
1. AA Degree or BA degree, or Para certification
2. Previous experience working with children preferred but not required
3. Post-secondary coursework in educational field preferred but not required
4. Initiative to be a self-starter
5. Intuitive to the needs of the student
6. Ability to work well with classroom teacher, support staff, administrators, AEA and parents of
student as part of an educational team
7. Ability to be flexible in assignment given
8. Ability to use good judgment when unexpected problems arise
9. Ability to use office equipment
10. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the District may find appropriate and
REPORTS TO: Building Principal
To assist in meeting the academic, social, emotional and physical needs of students in either an
individual or small group setting under the supervision of the building administrator, classroom
teacher or designated staff member. To work with an educational team in order to enhance student
learning, promote the overall efficiency of the school system, and maximize the educational
opportunities available to each child.
Any or all of the following duties may apply to a specific paraeducator position, depending on the
needs of the student and the operation of the educational setting.
1. Supervise students during recess by monitoring the safety of activities and notify teachers
and/or building administrator of any potential problems or injuries.
2. Supervise students during lunch with seating, behavior and dismissal and assist lunch staff
with distribution of food or as necessary to serve students.
3. Assist with basic student health concerns and general medicine distribution.
4. Assist with daily lunch count and order appropriate number of lunches from Food Service.
5. Assist with daily student absences, tardies, records attendance and calls families of students
who are unaccounted for.
6. Assist classroom teachers in preparing materials for instruction.
7. Assists in media center when needed.
8. Respects confidentiality of student records.
9. Conform to expectations within the negotiated agreement for Paraeducators
10. Other duties as assigned.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
1. 182 Contract Days. Salary and calendar year to be evaluated in accordance with the
Negotiated Agreement between the Iowa City Education Association and the Iowa City
Community School District.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the
District's policy on Evaluation, State Statute, and any applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement.