Instructional Support Specialist (Secondary) - Science
Chief Academic Officer
Certified - Position - OTHER
Job Number : 4600229446
Start Date :
Open Date : 06/29/2021
Closing Date :
The Elementary Instructional Support Specialist supplements the overall professional learning program provided by the instructional development and design department by providing content-specific subject matter expertise and targeted professional learning opportunities for teachers, instructional coaches, and other school-based core instructional staff in grades 6-12, to increase student achievement consistent with the challenging state academic standards and improving the quality and effectiveness of educators.
• Supports the vision of the APS Office of Academics.
• Provides targeted, job-embedded support to teachers and school leaders by implementing an intensive cycle of content support (including but not limited to classroom observations, co-teaching, modeling, co-planning, etc.) in the assigned subject area(s).
• Assists teachers and school leaders to analyze data (screening, diagnostic, formative, and summative) and identify necessary academic supports.
• Helps establish protocols and procedures to analyze student work periodically and identify specific areas in need of improvement.
• Designs and facilitates targeted professional learning to increase teacher capacity and effectiveness in schools by identifying academic needs resulting from the data (observations, student work, student performance, lesson plans, etc.).
• Provides support for creating and implementing selected curricular resources; assists teachers to adjust, modify, and enrich curricular approaches and improve instructional practices.
• Conducts professional learning for teams of teachers, paraprofessionals, and administrators related to assigned areas of responsibility.
• Renders support for creating and sustaining a collaborative planning model/professional learning community for teachers.
• Serves as a subject matter resource for the assigned subject(s) in middle and high schools for paraprofessionals, teachers, and school administrators.
• Remains current with accepted and appropriate instructional theory, practice, and research; participates in professional learning; attends seminars and conferences as requested.
• Collaborates with others in the Office of Academics and the Office of Schools in providing school/classroom-based professional learning and support.
• Assists with the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the district's professional learning activities.
• Required to have prompt, regular attendance in-person or virtually and be available to work on-site, in-person during regular business hours, and as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned by an appropriate administrator or their representative.
Master's degree in education or related field required
Specialist degree, or higher preferred
Valid certification from Georgia Professional Standards Commission at level T5 or higher in assigned subject area
Valid driver's license and availability of private transportation, or ability to attend off-site meetings
5 years of successful classroom teaching experience at level and in the subject area of responsibility including experience in collaborating with other areas and levels.
Experience in modeling effective teacher behavior to adult learners in a variety of settings
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Knowledge and understanding of standards-based curricula and research-based instructional strategies, including specific content knowledge for the assigned subject(s)
Knowledge of curriculum and instruction and best practices of instructional leaders, current educational research, and best practices
Knowledge of analyzing formative and summative student achievement data
Knowledge of technology integration into instructional lessons
Excellent written and oral communication
Ability to work with collaborative teams
Ability to apply critical thinking skills in rendering solutions to various issues
Ability to use Microsoft Office, Google Suite, video collaboration tools, and other system software programs
Salary Grade: 131
Salary Range: FY'21 APS Salary Schedule (All Positions)
Work Year: ANNUAL
FLSA Status : AT-WILL
Employment Category :
Reports to: : Director (Sec Curriculum & Instruction)