The Special Education Teacher’s Aide works with the Special Education Teacher to support individuals and small groups of children (K - 22) with emotional and behavior disorders, in a therapeutic special education classroom. The Knapp School (Therapeutic Day School) serves students who have been referred from their home school districts to us in order to receive individualized and intensive educational programming in our supportive and therapeutic environment. This position is based at the Joy Faith Knapp Children’s Center in West Rogers Park, IL. Please watch the attached video to learn more about our school: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzo13a5ZW64&t=4s
Teacher / Classroom Support
Under direction of the classroom teacher(s):
- Works with individuals or small groups of students to reinforce learning of materials.
- Performs clerical, classroom maintenance, and instructional duties.
- Executes lesson plans.
- Monitors students’ work, corrects papers, and provides other administrative support.
- Communicates problems or special information.
- Supervises the lunchroom during lunch periods with the assigned classroom teacher.
- Respects students’ confidentiality.
- Must provide constant supervision to ensure the safety of students at all times.
- Effectively manage and intervene in disruptive student behavior, both verbal and physical; including use of Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) prescribed methods to de-escalate critical situations
- Maintains records and writes agency required behavioral reports in timely manner.
- Participates and cooperates in special events, activities, and parent/teacher conferences as needed.
- Successfully completes training in Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) and completes all ongoing requirements to maintain TCI certification.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Certified by ISBE as a Paraprofessional or able to obtain certification (requires at least 60 hours of completed higher education coursework).
- One or more years of experience working with students with special education needs is preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs.
- Able to successfully complete the physical and testing requirements Therapeutic Crisis Intervention training (Agency provided).