EL Teacher (Floyd Dryden Middle School)
- Grade Level
- Middle School
Middle School Teaching/ ESL/ELL Teacher
Floyd Dryden Middle School
Open until filled
Location: Floyd Dryden Middle School
Full-time Position: 1.0 FTE
TEACHING POSITION: Requires Alaska teaching certificate with appropriate endorsement (s) (for information visit: http://www.eed.state.ak.us/TeacherCertification ).
Connect with Juneau's youth and make a difference in our community!
Position Summary: The English Language Learner (ELL) teacher is the language expert in the schools s/he serves. The ELL teacher provides targeted support and services to students who speak English as another language. The successful candidate will work closely students from diverse cultures to develop student skills in speaking, listening, reading, and writing English. In addition, the position requires the ability to collaborate with other faculty members to determine and support student need, design and implement learning plans and lessons targeting English language and academic content growth, maintain records of student progress related to individual and program goals, develop family support and involvement, and administer and evaluate data necessary for student and program evaluation.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in education.
- Valid Alaska teaching certificate with appropriate endorsement.
- Master's degree in education preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills and follow-through are essential.
- Three years of recent experience working in an elementary school setting.
- Previous teaching experience with English language learner students.
- Evaluate the language needs of student whose families speak a language other than English at home and recommend appropriate language support.
- Use language teaching strategies to increase English proficiency for students who speak a language other than English at home.
- Administer ACCESS MODEL language proficiency screener to students whose English language development has been significantly impacted by a language other than English.
- Administer the ACCESS for ELLs assessment per State and Federal regulations.
- Collaborate with regular classroom teachers in the modification and/or differentiation of curricula by meeting regularly to review targeted academic needs and goals.
- Participate effectively at team meetings with teachers and support staff using appropriate social skills, problem solving, and conflict resolution strategies.
- Maintain and secure confidential records and inquiries.
- Maintain appropriate certifications and trainings as required.
Compensation: Salary is dependent on experience and education. The Juneau School District offers a competitive salary, an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision, and the Teachers Retirement System (TRS) plan.
How to Apply:
To complete an online application, please visit our website at www.juneauschools.org .