Turn of River Middle School: Secondary Literacy EL Reading Specialist
- Grade Level
- Middle School
Teachers on Special Assignment
Turn of River MS
2021-2022 School Year
The filling of this position is based upon continued funding in the Board of Education budget.
Note: Teachers dually certified in TESOL, Bilingual Education or ESL, with experience in Sheltered Instruction or fluency in a language other than English, will be given preference for all Stamford Public School positions.
The Secondary Literacy EL Reading Specialist is supported by building level administrators in the implementation of direct literacy instruction in fundamental reading skills to English Language Learners who may have been identified as being a Student with Limited or Interrupted Formal Education (SLIFE). The Secondary Literacy EL Reading Specialist will also administer literacy assessments, score, collect, analyze, and monitor data in order to inform instruction.
- Provides screening for identified EL students exhibiting difficulty with basic reading skills.
- Plans and delivers literacy instruction in whole and small group to target identified fundamental reading objectives, utilizing a systematic, direct explicit approach, which includes developing phonological awareness and processing skills.
- Establishes learning objectives consistent with student needs utilizing Scientific Research Based Intervention (SRBI) and assessments tailored to detection, recognition and interventions for EL students exhibiting reading difficulties in fundamental reading skills.
- Plans for and utilizes daily instructional methods which are prescriptive and diagnostic, inclusive of necessary adjustments that need to be made in order to facilitate student progress toward achieving reading objectives.
- Provides necessary accommodations to assist ELs in accessing literacy goals.
- Continually collects, scores, assesses and analyzes student data in order to monitor student progress in meeting targets and inform instruction to identify students who demonstrate a need for additional reading support.
- Works collaboratively with building EL team and administration on the Strategic School Improvement Plan to provide consistent, high expectations for all EL students with reading difficulties.
- Attends meetings with the Secondary Literacy Committee as needed to review and evaluate effectiveness of implementation of the literacy support.
- Assists in the development of a comprehensive structured literacy program to address the needs of ELs who may have had interrupted formal education or recommended by a teacher.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- CT CSDE certification endorsed for:
- Remedial Reading and Remedial Language Arts, 1–12 (102) AND Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), PK–12 (111) (preferred). OR
- Remedial Reading and Remedial Language Arts, 1–12 (102). OR
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), PK–12 (111).
- Teaching EL students utilizing research-based strategies and teaching early literacy skills utilizing a structured literacy approach, providing daily instruction which is direct, explicit, diagnostic, and prescriptive OR
- Teaching early literacy skills utilizing a structured literacy approach, providing daily instruction which is direct, explicit, diagnostic, and prescriptive AND writing standards-based lesson plans/goals and objectives for students with identified reading weaknesses OR
- Teaching EL students utilizing research-based strategies.
- Ability to work effectively with administrators, teachers, parents, and students.
- Commitment to the growth and academic development of all students.
- Knowledge of and/or demonstrate the ability to learn and implement Operating Systems (i.e. Windows); Office suites (i.e. Microsoft Office, Google Docs); Presentation Software (i.e. PowerPoint, Keynote); Spreadsheets (i.e. Excel, Google Spreadsheets); Communication and Collaboration tools (i.e. Skype); Accounting Software (i.e. QuickBooks); Student Information Systems (i.e. Naviance, Power School); or any other technology deemed relevant for this position.
Board Approved 11/28/17
Revised 4/2020: Board Approved April 28, 2020
Stamford Education Association (SEA)
Per SEA Contract
Online application is required.
Internal Applicants: Please upload a cover letter (summarizing your interest in and qualifications for the position) and resume as part of your Internal Application. In addition, be prepared to provide a two letters of reference to the interview committee.