Teacher - English Language Development
Teaching: English Language Development/Teach-English Lang Learner
Coyote Ridge Elementary
Open until filled
STANDARD HOURS PER WEEK: 40
MONTHS PER YEAR: 9
JOB CODE: 200099
POSITION TYPE: REPLACEMENT - PERMANENT/REGULAR
LOCATION: THORNTON, CO
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Works with English language learners (ELLs) in developing English skills in reading, writing, speaking, and listening through the district's guaranteed and viable curriculum for ELL students. The ELD teacher collaborates with classroom teachers in ensuring best practices for ELLs are implemented throughout the school day.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Planning and Instruction:
- Plans and organizes language development instruction consistent with the district curriculum.
- Utilizes WIDA framework and standards in the development of lesson plans.
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques and teaching strategies to meet different aptitudes and interests of students, including sheltering lessons, whole group (co-teaching where applicable)/ small-group or individual learning.
- Collaborate with classroom teachers in ensuring best practices for ELLs are implemented throughout the school day.
- Administers required language proficiency (W-APT/ACCESS) and academic achievement tests within the required time frame.
- Assures proper placement in ELD courses/groups according to district guidelines.
- Maintains cumulative folders with required paperwork for English language learners.
- Runs student reports weekly to ensure accuracy of data.
- Collaborates with building administration to Collect and complete all required paperwork for the ELL student redesignation process.
- Assists in monitoring Fluent English Proficient (FEP) students who have exited from ELD services within the last two years.
- Remains current in all district ELL related communications.
- Attends IEP, Section 504, or other related meetings necessary for student assessment and/or compliance with federal and/or state law.
- Facilitates ELD Consult model for consult students when applicable.
- Assists in collecting and analyzing data for increasing student achievement.
Professional Growth and Responsibility:
- Participates in all required ELD teacher professional learning days.
- Participates in all district required ELL professional learning opportunities.
- Assists in developing and delivering building level professional development when necessary.
- Works towards building a positive self-image in English learners.
- Helps the school staff to be aware of and sensitive to cultural differences
- Establishes and maintains communication with parents of students in the program
EDUCATION AND RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor's degree or higher.
• Must be a minimum of 18 years old.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS or CERTIFICATIONS:
• Criminal background check required for hire.
• Must possess, or be able to obtain, a valid Colorado Educator License.
• Must possess the required license and endorsement according to ESSA (Every Student Succeeds Act).
• ESL, Bilingual, or (LDE) Linguistically Diverse Education, (CLDE) Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education endorsement required.
• K-5: Must also possess elementary endorsement.
• 6-12: Must also possess English endorsement.
SALARY INFORMATION (FOR EXTERNAL CANDIDATES):
All salary placement on our Certified Salary schedule is dependent on the employees' education and/or work experience. Certified/licensed employees will be granted one (1) year for each full year of contractual and/or work experience up to a maximum of ten (10) years, which includes in-district and out-of-district contractual teaching and/or work experience. Responsibility for verification of outside experience shall rest with the individual employee. For further explanation of salary placement please refer to our Certified Master Agreement that can be found on our district website.
Adams 12 Five Star Schools is committed to providing an environment that promotes a healthy employee population able to serve our students at the highest level. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance as well as other programs for benefit eligible employees. The employee assistance program, voluntary life insurance through PERA, and 401(k), 403(b) & 457(b) plans are available to all employees regardless of hours worked and are available immediately (upon hire date).
To learn more about our benefits including paid time off, please see our Benefits Overview.
THIS POSTING IS NOT INCLUSIVE OF THE JOB DESCRIPTION.