Boston Plan for Excellence operates a PreK-12 pathway of neighborhood based Teaching Academies -- schools that provide a world class education for all students while preparing outstanding new teachers for successful, sustainable careers as urban educators. The pathway includes two Teaching Academies in the Nubian Square neighborhood of Roxbury: Dudley Street Neighborhood Charter School (grades PreK-5) and Dearborn STEM Academy (6-12). Working with partners in higher education and industry, our schools endeavor to support all students to be employed at a family-sustaining wage six years after they graduate high school.
At BPE, we are committed to becoming an increasingly anti-racist organization. We lead with race because we operate in a country founded on the genocide of Indigenous people, the enslavement of African people, and the oppression of countless others. We acknowledge the role this history plays in perpetuating inequity and dominant white culture, and strive to be an organization whose policies, procedures, practices, and programs move toward racial equity.
The Instructional System Director (ISD) is responsible for driving the refinement and implementation of a coherent PreK-12 instructional system across the two schools. An instructional system is a dynamic instructional framework that enables a school to manage the work of teaching by tying together:
- a common language
- common approaches to instruction
- common routines
- common pedagogy
- shared responsibility for students’ learning across a school.
The ISD reports to the BPE Executive Director. The ISD works closely with the two school principals, and their instructional leadership teams and teaching staffs.
- You believe that instructional coherence is the key to consistent and widespread student learning gains
- You are laser-focused on using data to drive improved student outcomes
- You are committed to ensuring that schools and schooling are increasingly anti-racist
- You are a systems thinker
- You believe that schools are places where both adults and students are - and should be - learning and improving constantly
Theory of Action
If our school staffs operate in a coherent instructional system focused on student achievement, we will be able to provide ambitious instruction to every student, resulting in significantly improved achievement and college and career readiness for high-need students. We define ambitious instruction as 'rigorous instruction that consistently engages all students.'
The primary role of the ISD is to ensure that we build and implement a coherent instructional system, PreK-12.
The ISD will work closely with school principals to ensure alignment across core elements of the schools’ academic approach. Day-to-day, the ISD will be charged with working closely with school staff on:
- The creation, adoption and implementation of a readily-available and coherent curriculum
- The alignment and implementation of a coherent assessment system tied to curricular goals
- The creation, adoption and implementation of a set of common instructional practices
- The implementation of a coherent progress monitoring system
- Integration of the schools' coaching and professional development systems.
- Minimum of 5 years of instructional leadership experience in a high-impact district or CMO
- Extensive experience developing and implementing curriculum and assessments that articulate across the PreK-12 grade range
- Deep knowledge about what great instruction looks like
- Strong understanding of adult learning
- Track record of achieving results in an urban environment with demonstrated success in building rigorous systems, policies, and tools to support high-performing academic teams
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with a demonstrated ability to work independently, lead multiple projects, ruthlessly prioritize, and manage a high-volume of tasks, deadlines, requirements, and decisions
- Personal alignment with BPE’s mission, vision, and core values.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package, including group health, dental and life insurance, retirement plan, and vacation allowance.
Please visit http://bpe.atsondemand.com/ to submit an application for consideration.
BPE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace.