- Job Type
Organization Summary: Oliver Scholars prepares high-achieving Black and Latinx students from underserved New York City communities for success at top independent schools and prestigious colleges. We provide crucial support for our Scholars so they can realize their full potential and ultimately give back to the city, the nation, and the world.
Position Summary & Reporting: Reporting to the Chief Program and Equity Officer, the Scholar Counselor will provide personal, academic, and college guidance to Scholars, from ninth grade through first-year of college. In addition to serving as the primary point of contact for Scholars and their families, the counselor will be responsible for managing the institutional relationships between Oliver Scholars and the academic and college counselors at the partner schools at which her/his students are enrolled. S/he will be proactive, detail oriented, organized, and capable of strategic thinking. S/he must also have a strong sense of purpose and passion for creating access to education for underserved students and be aspirational with regards to their own professional development.
- Engage Scholars in holistic guidance that encompasses personal, and academic counseling with a goal of positioning each Scholar for long-term success.
- Travel to partner schools to conduct in-person counseling visits with each scholar at their boarding or day school to ensure academic and personal success.
- Maintain communication with scholars and families throughout the school year.
- Collaborate with school counselors and administration to monitor and provide each counselees’ progress, and provide guidance and intervention on a variety of Scholar-related initiatives.
- Serve as advocate to parents and families around the Independent school experience
- Plan and supervise Leadership, Community Service and Educational enrichment programs in collaboration with the Scholar Services Department.
- Assist with the facilitation of Summer Programming for high school scholars.
- Travel with and supervise high school scholars on annual weeklong College tour and middle school students during Boarding School week in the summer.
- Support the Oliver Parents Council with execution of organized events as needed.
- Provide support to other departments as needed and requested within the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Masters a plus
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills
- 3+ years engaging adolescents
- Guidance or supportive counseling a plus
- Knowledge of independent day and boarding schools a plus
- Able to do domestic travel and a valid driver's license is required
- Willingness and ability to work evenings and weekends
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; willing to learn new techniques and procedures; Manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Innovation & Initiative - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention; Looks for and takes advantages of opportunities.
- Planning/Organizing & Project Management - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas and tries new things
HOW TO APPLY: For consideration, please forward your cover letter and resume to jobs@Oliverscholars.org Please note, “Job Title – [Your Last Name]” in the subject line of your email. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
COMPENSATION: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success. Oliver Scholars is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, citizenship status, or current employment status. Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
Apply for SCHOLAR COUNSELOR
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly