Custodian - Part-Time
- Job Type
Woodland Elementary School
1105 North Hunt Club Road
Gurnee, Illinois 60031
Woodland School District 50 is an Equal Opportunity Educator/Employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and educational environment by hiring individuals who support and contribute to the diversity and excellence of our student and academic programs through their teaching and service to our students, parents and the community we serve.
If you welcome inclusion, equity and diversity, have an unwavering commitment to the success of all students, embrace and celebrate the individuality of our student population with respect to race, ethnicity, and economic status, and seek to celebrate the cultures that contribute to making our district so rich, please join our team! Minority candidates encouraged to apply.
POSITION TITLE: Custodian - Part-Time
Applicants are instructed to address in their application/resume their experiences directly related to each section noted in this posting.
Position Type: Support Staff
Date Posted: December 22, 2020
Location: Woodland Elementary School
Date Available: When Filled
Description: Provides a safe and properly maintained building to enhance the learning environment for all District stakeholders.
1. Certification: N/A
Required - High School Diploma or Equivalent
Required - One year experience as a custodian
Preferred - One year experience as a custodian in a public-school setting
ESSENTIAL PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure building cleanliness and safety.
- Daily liaison between staff, community or School Administration regarding any building related facilities scheduling/issues.
- Assists with snow removal plan that may include, but not limited to, shoveling, salting sidewalks, snow plowing/blowing, and other as needed.
- Set-up and take down tables and chairs, clean kitchen prep area, handle cafeteria duties as assigned, and other equipment as needed for school functions or outside organizations.
- Perform minor building repairs as assigned by the School Administration which may include, but not limited to, light bulb replacement, locker repairs, hanging or mounting of bathroom or classroom fixtures, and unplugging toilets or sinks.
- Report defective equipment and unsafe or unusual conditions to the School Administration.
- Assist with inventory of custodial supplies and equipment.
- Provide general security at exterior doors, question unauthorized persons on property, and other security-related tasks when conducting daily activities.
- Ensure work orders are completed and appropriate documentation is filed, utilizing email and paper documents as appropriate.
- Move furniture as needed.
- Paint as needed.
- Responsible for trash and recycle removal.
- Follow the Building Information Book (BIB) outlining procedures.
- Perform traffic control as needed.
- Assist other Operations and Facilities personnel as requested by the School Administration, O&F Director/Facilities Manager or representative.
- May be required to cover another custodian's shift due to absences or high workloads.
OTHER PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform other tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the School Administration, O&F Director/Facilities Manager or representative.
- Assist in other areas as needed.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Technical : Must be able to use the district email system, the Facilities Scheduling system, and Microsoft Office/Google docs. Must also be able to use the call-in system.
Interpersonal : Must be able to work collaboratively with a team, must be able to make difficult decisions that impact learning and safety, must be able to work harmoniously with students, parents, staff, and administration. Must be able to follow directives given by the School Administration and O&F Director/Facilities Manager. Must be able to communicate effectively with students, parents, staff, and the community at large. Must exhibit sound judgment in dealing with people. Must have strong organizational skills.
DISTRICT CORE COMPETENCIES:
1. Willingly anticipate, identify and adapt to change.
2. Engage in all job-related interactions and activities, with contacts from within and outside the District, in a courteous and professional manner.
3. Communicate with styles that are approachable and respectful.
4. Participate in professional development and training to become more effective and efficient.
5. Take initiative to manage multiple tasks.
6. Effectively organize work to be as productive as possible.
Manual Dexterity: Work requires definite skilled and accurate physical operations requiring some closely coordinated performance.
Physical Effort: Work requires handling weight materials or equipment a minimum of 50 lbs., but not for sustained periods. Must be able to stoop, climb, and reach.
Working Conditions: Some exposure to definitely disagreeable elements may exist.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 180 - Day (per school year) Part-time position. May be assigned overtime, if needed. Work hours may be flexed as defined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Non-exempt Union position.
WORK HOURS: 5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
SALARY RANGE: $15.35 / hour minimum (Commensurate with experience and in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement)
HOW TO APPLY: Internal applicants should apply online and attach a resume to the online application. External applicants should apply online and attach three letters of recommendations and resume to the online application.
All applicants must be willing to interview in person and demonstrate skills through a situational analysis. Applicants will be contacted within three weeks if invited for an interview. Minority candidates are encouraged to apply
Further information regarding this position may be obtained by contacting:
John Fuhrer, Director of Operations and Facilities
APPLICATION DEADLINE: When filled
Woodland School District 50 is an Equal Opportunity Employer with established policies prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, marital status, arrest record, military status, order of protection status, unfavorable military discharge, citizenship status provided the individual is authorized to work in the United States, use of lawful products while not at work, being a victim of domestic or sexual violence, genetic information, physical or mental handicap or disability, if otherwise able to perform the essential functions of the job with reasonable accommodation, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, or other legally protected categories. The Associate Superintendent (847-596-5630) addresses questions regarding student discrimination, and the Director of Human Resources (847-596-5640) answers questions concerning employment discrimination.