Tlingit Language and Leadership Teacher (Dzantik\'i Heeni Middle School)
- Grade Level
- Middle School
Dzantik`i Heeni Middle School
Open until filled
Location: Districtwide (Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School)
Full-Time Position (1.0 FTE)
TEACHING POSITION: Requires Alaska teaching certificate with appropriate endorsement(s) (for information visit: http://www.eed.state.ak.us/TeacherCertification ).
Make a difference for the children in our community!
Position Summary : The successful individual will work with students to help them learn subject matter and skills that will contribute to their development as mature, able, and responsible men and women. The individual will promote the kind of instruction and learning environment that will enable each student in the district to master the skills appropriate to age, grade level and individual capacity.
This position is responsible for working on Tlingit language scope and sequence, developing teaching lessons, and teaching Tlingit language with an emphasis on proper protocols and effective strategies for conveying traditional language and culture. They will be a part of a K-12 Tlingit language team. Practice and skills in traditional culture, such as songs, drumming, and dancing are desirable.
- Bachelor's degree in education preferred.
- Requires valid Alaska certificate (Type A Professional or Type M Specialist) or eligibility to receive a valid Alaska certificate.
- Knowledge of many teaching strategies for diverse students.
- Master's degree in education desirable.
- Experience speaking and teaching Tlingit language is essential.
- Ability to manage students in a structured school setting.
- Experience teaching using multi-sensory or promising practices in second language learning.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with classroom teachers.
- Commitment to teaming.
Compensation: Salary is dependent on experience and education. The Juneau School District offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision as well as membership in the Teachers Retirement System (TRS) plan.
How to Apply:
Please visit our website at www.juneauschools.org to complete an online application.