Assistant High School Principal
- Job Type
This position is responsible for the administration and implementation of the educational program and related services to students in Grades 9 through 12, and providing direct assistance to the High School Principal in managing the overall day-to-day operations of the High School and its programs and activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties may be assigned.
- Serve as member of administrative team, and as the head of the school in the absence of the Principal, as needed and directed by the Principal.
- Observe and provide both written and verbal feedback to professional and support staff employees in order to improve their practice.
- Supervise, direct, and evaluate performance of professional and support staff employees.
- Assist in determining, preparing, and facilitating professional development experiences to support the continuous improvement of professional and support staff employees.
- Serve on the Academic Leadership Council, leading (or co-leading) one or more academic departments.
- Assist the Principal with all matters relating to student safety.
- Work with teachers and guidance office staff to implement strategies to assist struggling students in assigned grade levels.
- Monitor academic progress, achievement and test scores of students in assigned grade levels and/or content areas, and assist in developing strategies and plans to improve learning for all students.
- Assist in the coordination, implementation, and supervision of student activities.
- Assist with supervision of athletic programs and events, student orientation and similar activities.
- Receive and investigate or assist in the investigation of complaints and/or other matters involving alleged violations of school rules, policies or procedures by staff or students.
- Serve as LEA representative and coordinator for special education services and Section 504 agreements for students in assigned grade levels.
- Assist in the development of the master schedule for staff and students.
- Assist with development and administration of building and department budgets.
- Under the direction of the Principal, administer a program of student discipline in accordance with the K-12 Discipline Code for students for assigned grade levels.
- Coordinate/interact with in-school suspension, teaching, security and other district staff to address and resolve student conduct and discipline issues for assigned grade levels.
- Provide documentation and recommendation to the Principal regarding disciplinary action against students in assigned grade levels, as and when necessary.
- Monitor student attendance in assigned grade levels and make recommendations to the administration for resolution of chronic attendance problems; administer and enforce tardy and class cut policies.
- Monitor and assist students in making successful transition from Middle School to High School.
- Work with law enforcement, community and other governmental agencies, as necessary, as they relate to student attendance, legal and/or discipline issues.
- Maintain visibility throughout the building to interact and direct students, in accordance with the Discipline Code.
- Work cooperatively with parents/guardians to resolve conflicts.
- Assist in maintenance and regular updating of data in student information database, and ensure that data required for state and federal reports, including PIMS, is up to date and accurate.
- Assist with scheduling of special events during the school day.
- Assist the Principal with all matters relating to the safe, efficient operation of the physical plant.
- Lead or serve with district teams/committees.
- Maintain current educational/administrative certificate.
- Maintain accurate and complete records, as required by law, and ensure that all activities comply with Board policies, rules and guidelines and all administrative requirements.
- Maintain effective working relationship with professional and support staff, administration, students, parents and community groups.
- Regular and timely attendance.
- Other duties as assigned by the High School Principal, the Assistant Superintendent, or the Superintendent or their respective designees.
Supervise staff and students at the High School. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with district policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; conferencing, rewarding and disciplining employees and students; addressing complaints and resolving problems.