City Charter Schools, Middle School Principal
- Job Type
POSITION: Middle School Principal
START DATE: 7/1/2021
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
CITY CHARTER SCHOOLS operates two progressive, high-achieving, project-based schools that serve a student body reflective of the full range of socioeconomic, cultural, and racial diversity in Los Angeles. City Language Immersion Charter (CLIC) offers TK-5th grade students an innovative, dual language immersion program (Spanish/English) in the West Adams neighborhood of Los Angeles. The City School is one of the top performing middle schools in LA offering a student-centered, problem and project-based curriculum in a safe and supportive community. Both schools have become a national model for social-emotional learning and development (see our approach at www.selforteachers.org). Our staff love kids, love working at our schools, and believe strongly in our core principles of practice.
Educational Excellence: Instruction reflects high expectations, inspires curiosity, builds critical skills and promotes deeper thinking to close opportunity gaps.
Diversity: We build intentionally diverse, welcoming, and equitable learning communities where students and staff develop self-awareness and cultural competence to build a better world.
Community: The school is intentionally inclusive: we put relationships first and develop social-emotional competencies while engaging all stakeholders in creating a unified, safe, and supportive community within and beyond the school.
We also value autonomous leadership and data-driven decision-making. We seek a principal who will put children first while valuing all stakeholders, and make thoughtful, informed, inclusive decisions aligned with the school’s mission, vision, and values. For more information, see www.citycharterschools.org/TCS.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A love of students and demonstrated strength building meaningful relationships with their students, staff, families and other community members;
- Understanding of how to build and sustain an inclusive school community grounded in social-emotional support and development, and restorative practices;
- A commitment to the school’s values, mission and core guiding principles and alignment with the education philosophy and the school’s mission;
- Proven commitment to equity, constructivism, project-based learning and a collaborative approach to teaching and learning;
- Proven ability to balance the programmatic and operational requirements of school, including budgeting and fundraising, compliance reporting, managing operations staff, and managing relationships with local, county, and state oversight authorities;
- A clear record of improving student achievement in schools serving a diverse range of students, with a strong understanding of anti-racism work and pedagogy that drives results;
- Belief in the connection between anti-racism work and pedagogy;
- Resourcefulness and creativity with a innovator’s orientation;
- A high level of persistence, strong problem-solving instincts and capabilities;
- Self-awareness, self-reflection, and accurate self-perception.
- Administrative Credential and/or graduate degree in education;
- Knowledge of how to integrate technology and applications like Canvas and Nearpod into schoolwide instructional practices;
- 2+ years of administrative experience;
- 3+ years experience working directly with middle school students;
- Effective communication skills, orally and in writing;
- Bilingual competency in English and Spanish (preferred).
Academics and Instruction
- Guides instructional staff to improve teaching and learning by collecting and analyzing data, providing teacher support and designing/delivering professional development.
- Develop and implement a plan that will ensure student achievement as demonstrated by formative and summative assessments.
- Provides instructional leadership, coaching, and support to teachers that meet their individual and team needs.
- Oversees state standardized testing and ensures the use of a wide array of assessments that reflect the educational philosophy of City Charter Schools.
- Designs and develops a master schedule and school program that aligns to the school’s philosophy and maximizes student success, socially, emotionally, and academically.
- Ensures that SPED services are inclusive, compliant, and effectively delivered to students according to local, state and national requirements.
Culture and Community
- Establishes and maintains strong relationships with teachers, students, parents, community members and staff.
- Defines and builds a transformative school culture consistent with CCS Guiding Principles, including the promotion of social emotional learning as part of the school’s culture.
- Builds and maintains a strong, positive, results-oriented school culture where teachers believe that all students can achieve and demonstrate that commitment daily.
- Communicates the school’s vision and goals in a way that ensures understanding and commitment from a racially, culturally, and socioeconomically diverse community of parents, students, faculty, staff, and board members.
- Forms, liaises with, and supports the parent council to ensure that the school’s approach to parent leadership aligns to its goals.
- Maintains positive relationships with LAUSD and other charter school organizations, serving as an active leader in the local community by learning from others and sharing best practices.
Operations, Finance and Human Resources
- Recruits, hires, manages, and develops the school’s leadership, instructional team, operational, and support staff.
- Manages the staff performance review and compensation review processes.
- Ensures compliant, effective, and efficient school-based operations that support an academically high performing school environment.
- Reports on activities, organizational development progress, and student achievement to the school’s board, LAUSD, and California Department of Education, as required by law or requested by the above.
- Manage school-based fundraising, providing parent fundraising committees with clear guidance and support to maximize their success and uphold school values.
- Works with the Executive Director to draft and monitor the school’s budget and ensure daily financial and business activities are compliant with the school’s fiscal policies.
Please submit a resume online at https://apply.workable.com/j/A63AB1CAC1. For additional questions about this position or to speak with someone about your interest, please contact Serena Moy at email@example.com or at 510.575.9635.
City Charter Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, and a comprehensive benefits package.City Charter Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.