EL INSTRUCTIONAL SPECIALIST
Open until Filled
Bridgeport Public SCHOOLS
Human Resources Department
45 Lyon Terrace, Room 310
Bridgeport, CT 06604
2021-2022 SCHOOL YEAR
EL INSTRUCTIONAL SPECIALIST
- Model and monitor instruction to ensure that K-12 ESL/Bilingual teachers are utilizing research-based instructional strategies that include SIOP and Project BE GLAD to accelerate English Language Proficiency and improve student achievement of ELs
- Ensure that program goals, activities, instruction are aligned with current research as well as Federal and State policy/guidelines
- Collaborate with the Director and teachers to plan, implement and evaluate instructional programs.
- Provide meaningful professional development that enhances teacher's understanding of cultural awareness, second language acquisition, application of research-based instructional strategies for ELs, implementation of standards-based instruction, improve student engagement, increase English language and literacy skills, and interpreting data to inform instruction
- Assist in the implementation of department Data Teams by accessing and utilizing assessment data (LASLinks, CSDE/district assessment data) to drive teaching and learning.
- Able to disaggregate, analyze, triangulate and draw conclusions about EL assessment data to better inform staff, administrators and parents regarding student achievement.
- Provide training for parents and administrators to better inform them about the department, Federal and State guidelines/legislation/policy.
- Engage teachers in collaborative and reflective classroom practices about their ELs.
- Provides initial and annual LASLinks assessment to ELs throughout the district
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Proficiency in the integration of technology to support student learning.
- Self-directed, ability to take the initiative, committed to support the goals of the Bilingual department.
- Maintain weekly logs and meeting/Professional Development agendas.
- Bilingual/TESOL certification K-12 (111,305).
- Three years of successful teaching experience in an urban setting working with English Learners.
- Experience in the use of educational technology.
- Excellent oral and written communication, organizational, and human relations skills.
- Trained in SIOP, Project BE GLAD and CT English Language Proficiency Standards
- Bilingual (Spanish and/or Portuguese)
Salary will be in accordance to BEA contract salary schedule.
Qualified candidates who wish to apply should access the Bridgeport Public Schools Website:
It is the policy of the Bridgeport Board of Education not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, present or past mental disorder, mental retardation, or learning ability, in any of its education programs, activities, or employment practices.
"The Bridgeport Board of Education is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer."