Job Title Mechanical Engineering Coordinator Location Ashburn, VA, US Organization Name Administration Building Department Description Department of Support Services
Brief Description The Mechanical Engineering Coordinator provides engineering support for fire suppression, plumbing and mechanical designs on new construction and renovation projects. The Mechanical Engineering Coordinator works with the Architect and provides direction to the construction staff and consultants on overall design approach, reviews the design phase
deliverables for fire suppression, plumbing, and mechanical designs, coordinates their interface with architectural and electrical designs, and maintains and oversees all LCPS standards and specifications with particular focus on the mechanical elements of projects. The Mechanical Engineering Coordinator may manage and supervise other engineering
design staff and organizes project requirements with the other design team coordinators.
Detailed Description The following information is intended to describe the overall nature and scope of the work being performed in relation to the position. This is not a comprehensive listing of all responsibilities or tasks; other work may be assigned when deemed appropriate:
* Serves as building fire suppression, plumbing, and mechanical systems planning and design coordinator for new and renovation building projects.
* Evaluates mechanical systems, products, components, and applications, ensuring high quality of design through Schematic Design, Construction Documents, and Construction Administration and conformance to LCPS standards and requirements.
* Coordinates and reviews design work of new and renovated mechanical and plumbing systems for facilities; Checks adequacy and accuracy of information and documentation produced by consulting engineer; writes and reviews Scope of Work for mechanical and plumbing design.
* Provides consultation and support to building renovation projects.
* Develops and maintains LCPS technical and education specifications, LCPS sustainable and environmental (Energy Star) design standards and translates design and planning criteria to architects and engineers.
* Review contract documents to ensure compliance of designs with LCPS specification and design standards, evaluate cost controls and performs Quality Assurance review.
* Assesses physical condition of existing facilities to provide consultation and support to building renovation projects; update the LCPS facilities database and ascertain 'As built' conditions.
* Evaluates products and systems for performance and energy conservation and participate with various trade organizations; maintains knowledge of latest industry trends and innovations in design and construction and other Technology changes.
* Reviews Capital Improvements Program plans for conformance with LCPS design criteria.
* Reviews estimates of probable cost of equipment and design, assess construction estimates, submittals and contractor correspondence.
* Contributes to solicitations to for professional and construction architects and engineers (RFP development and logistics) for recommendation selection.
* Provides consultation and support for the new building construction phase commissioning processes in plumbing and HVAC systems, and electronic controls systems.
* Develops and maintains positive and effective working relationships with local government, internal LCPS departments, local school personnel, Architects and consulting engineers.
* Participates in reviews, best practices, to ensure best practices after completion of each project. Designs plumbing and HVAC systems for existing minor facility renovations and miscellaneous projects.
Job Requirements * Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Technology, or related field or equivalent education and experience in school design and planning or construction; professional registration preferred (or the ability to obtain licensure)
* A minimum of ten (10) years successful experience in a position predominately related to engineering design and review, educational facilities design, review or related fieldwork
* Demonstrates an understanding of policy, regulations, standards, and objectives of public/governmental entities, and state and county building codes relative to the design of educational projects, and coordinates with state and county agencies to ensure compliance; knowledge of the theory and practice of architecture and engineering as it pertains to modern construction methods and school planning techniques
* Successful experience in the construction field in a position predominantly related to educational design, review, or related construction work; considerable knowledge of the procedures, techniques, and methods of educational facility and site planning and CADD
* Ability to successfully interact with review agencies, county staff, contracted architecture and engineering firms, and LCPS personnel
* Demonstrated ability to organize, analyze, and evaluate information, explain requirements, coordinate project schedules and budgets, work independently, and manage personnel
* Demonstrated experience to lead the coordination, direct management and supervision of other staff, if required
The following provides a brief description of physical requirements for this position:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly talking, expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. The employee must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. The employee must possess normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall and apply
certain practices and policies. Frequently sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. May be exposed to extreme temperatures and uneven terrain.
Additional Details Administrator Salary Scale , Universal Level 18
This is an exempt position
Reports to : Architect
The Loudoun County School Board seeks to cultivate a high performing team of professionals focused on its mission and goals. The School Board values merit and excellence within its workforce and encourages the highest levels of professionalism for all its employees.
The School Board also recognizes and values the diversity of the students and broader community it serves and encourages diversity within its workforce.
The Loudoun County School Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The School Board does not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of actual or perceived race, national origin, ancestry, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, marital status, age, religion, disability, genetic information, veteran status or any basis protected by law.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Assistant Superintendent for Department of Human Resources and Talent Development
Loudoun County Public Schools
21000 Education Court
Ashburn, VA 20148
How To Apply To submit an application online, please select "Apply Now"To be considered for the vacancy, please complete ALL sections of the application. A resume will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application. Please be sure to upload the following:
- Three (3) current professional references (Name, phone number, email address). At least one reference should be a current supervisor or most recent supervisor.
- Letter of Interest
Interview Date School Year SY_2020 - 2021 School Year 2020-2021 Job Type Administrative Closing Date Contract or Assignment Days/Hours Per Day 248 days / 8 hours Amount of Travel
Refresh Detach Attach
Skill Minimum Level Maximum Level Desirability No results found.