Director of Student Services
POSITION: Director of Student Services
REPORTS TO: Assistant Superintendent, Special Education
The Director of Student Services keeps abreast of professional changes and represents the School District on national, state, and local levels in areas related to special education services. Performs other duties as assigned. Performs in accordance with School District policy, administrative regulations, state, and federal laws.
The Chester Upland School District is committed to providing all students the opportunity to achieve excellence in the four A's: Academics, Athletics, Arts, and Activities.
The senior leadership team continues to build a talented and committed team to ensure all students are prepared to graduate from Chester Upland schools career and college ready! The C.O.R.E. is the foundation of the Chester Upland School District's vision and mission.
C- Children First: The well being and continuous learning of every child will drive decisions.
O- One Chester Upland: With dedicated community of partners, parents, students and staff, we will excel, united as One Chester Upland.
R- Reimagining: Through a mode of continuous improvement, we will apply four important levers for change, collaboration, capacity building, deepening knowledge of pedagogy, and focusing direction to improve outcomes for all.
E- Equity, Excellence, and Emotional Intelligence: We will ensure equitable access to a quality education that includes emotional intelligence and leads to excellence across all opportunities and services.
RESPONSIBILITES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Plans for, directs, and supports professional and non-professional staff by developing, coordinating and ensuring implementation of effective system-wide health services, counseling services, school psychological services, school social work services, gifted education services, ESL services, instructional support services, homebound services, and Student Assistance Program services. Evaluates programs and supervises the revisions of student services programs and services to meet the ongoing needs of the District.
- Abides by federal, state and local school laws, guidelines and regulations, mandated programs, District policies and administrative regulations.
- Supervises all aspects of instructional support and response to intervention services. Coordinates initial interactions and screening for students and families who may require ESL services and oversees appropriate placements and compliance with all federal and state requirements pertaining to the ESL program.
- Directs the collection, dissemination, maintenance, and destruction of student records. Oversees and ensures compliance with state and federal mandates relating to protection and dissemination of student information.
- Supervises and assists building principals in the evaluation of student services staff and monitors and ensures District-wide adherence to legal requirements, federal, state and local guidelines and District policy and practices pertaining to pupil services.
- Assists, in the recruitment, interviewing and selecting of prospective student services staff.
- Provides technical assistance to building principals and specialists regarding student services issues and acts ensures information regarding District and community recourses is readily made available to staff and parents regarding student behavior, attendance, mental health, general health, academics and legal issues.
- Participates in the regular department meetings as well as special meetings pertaining to building level student services responsibilities.
- Monitors new or amended legislation, regulations, and guidelines related to student services. Ensures compilation of data and preparation and timely submission of required, legally compliant and pupil services reports to state and federal agencies.
- Prepares informational reports related to student services as requested. Recommends additions or revisions to policies, administrative regulations, and programs pertaining to student services.
- Prepares the department budgets in consultation with the administrative team; approves purchase orders for student services programs; supervises the appropriate use of funds; and ensures existence, timelines, and flexibility of interagency agreements.
- Participates in and contributes to District-level curricular and administrative meetings; provides periodic updates legal issues in student services to appropriate administrative and instructional staff; and facilitates staff participation in psychiatric staffing and treatment plan (mental health) meetings.
- Master's degree in related field required.
- 5-7 years. At least five years of experience in the field of public education, part of which must have been in an administrative or supervisory capacity.
- Supervisor, Student Personnel Services (Liscenses/Certificates)
- Valid Driver's License Required
UNION AFFILIATION: Not applicable
- Receipt of a completed application, resume and cover letter
- A minimum of three current written letters of reference from previous or current directors, principal, and supervisors
- Personal interview(s)
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Chester Upland School District (CUSD) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. CUSD ensures equal employment opportunities regardless of race, creed, gender, color, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or disability. Any individual needing assistance in making application for any opening should contact the Department of Human Resources at 610-447-5886.