We are seeking to hire a positive, inspiring, detail-oriented and visionary team leader to serve as the first Human Resources Manager for One City Schools. This talented leader will partner with our CEO and COO to develop outstanding Human Resources and Talent Management processes to support the mission and vision for our organization, schools and students, and build upon our commitment to provide a great place for our team members to learn, work and grow personally and professionally.
This is a full-time position with competitive pay and comprehensive benefits. Travel is primarily local during the business day to school locations, but will include staff recruitment efforts and professional development that require some travel and weekend work as well. The Human Resources Manager will serve as a member of One City’s Leadership Team and report to our Chief Operating Officer.
ABOUT ONE CITY
One City Schools is a Wisconsin-based nonprofit organization that provides high quality educational opportunities for young children. Our mission is to seed a new model of public education that ensures young children are on track to succeed in a college or career preparatory program from birth through high school graduation. Our vision is of a Greater Madison community where there are no persistent achievement and opportunity gaps, and where all children are prepared to contribute and succeed as adults. To this end, One City’s goal is to ensure young children are prepared to read, compute and succeed at grade level by the time they reach first grade. More importantly, we aim to partner with families and the broader community to cultivate children who become free, global and deep thinkers, curious learners, effective problem solvers, humanitarians, happy people and young people who care about the world around them.
Currently, One City operates two schools: One City Preschool, an accredited 5-star preschool serving children ages 1 - 3 and One City Expeditionary Elementary School, a public charter elementary school that presently enrolls children in 4K through second grade, and will add additional grades annually through grade 6.
One City Preschool is accredited by the City of Madison and was awarded 5 (of 5) stars through Wisconsin's YoungStar Child Care Rating System. Our Preschool was awarded Best of Madison in Child Care in 2018.
One City Expeditionary Elementary School (OCEES) is a unique, two-generation public school, authorized by the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents, that provides a tuition-free education to children in grades 4K through Grade 2 in South Madison (Note: We will add a minimum of one grade per year until we reach grade 6) and works directly with families to ensure children are learning, inspired and making solid progress. We also have a longer school year (219 days vs 180 days in traditional public schools) and a longer school day (8:15am to 5pm daily), including 90-minute co-curricular learning academies in Sports, Fitness, STEM and Creative and Performing Arts.
OCEES is also an EL Education Network School, offering the highly regarded Expeditionary Learning curriculum in kindergarten through second grade (and eventually through grade 6). Our 4K program is built exclusively around the AnjiPlay program from Anji, China. AnjiPlay will also serve as a supplement to children in Kindergarten and above as well.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Human Resources Manager will be responsible for developing and leading One City Schools’ Human Resource and Talent Management processes. To date, One City’s HR management process has been partially outsourced to a local human resources management agency and administered internally by our CEO and COO. As our organization has grown to include two schools, and will employ more than 50 team members beginning in the 2021-22 school year, we are hiring an HR Manager who will be responsible for the overall administration, coordination and evaluation of the human resource function. Specifically, responsibilities include:
- Plan, organize and administer all activities of the Human Resources and Talent Management Department
- Work in collaboration with the CEO, COO and Department Leaders to develop department goals, objectives, systems, and metrics
- Revise job descriptions as necessary; conduct annual salary surveys and consider merit increases with Department Leaders; analyze compensation; monitor One City’s performance evaluation program and revise as necessary with the COO
- Develop, recommend, implement and maintain personnel policies and procedures and the Employee Handbook
- Perform benefits administration in partnership with our HR contractor; to include claims resolution and change reporting
- Develop and maintain affirmative action program; file EEO-1 annually; maintain other records, reports and logs to conform to EEO regulations
- Establish and maintain department records and reports; participate in Leadership Team meetings and attend other meetings, such as seminars; maintain organizational charts and employee directory
- Evaluates reports, decisions, and results of department initiatives in relation to established goals; recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local employment laws
- Maintain “office hours” at schools in conjunction with providing HR support to school directors
- Conduct onboarding and new hire process
- Maintain and update Human Resource Information System (HRIS)
- Partner with the COO and Executive Team to create and maintain HR Monthly newsletter
- Partner with the COO and School Wellness and Improvement Manager to create and administer employee health and wellness program; assess effectiveness through various methodologies, and provide feedback for improvements
- Strong commitment to the mission, vision, goals and objectives of One City, and to working to support young children from diverse racial/cultural populations and their families
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of three years HR experience, preferably in an educational setting
- Knowledge of and experience with educator recruitment and certification, preferred but not required
- Success working in an urban setting with individuals from diverse racial, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds
- Excellent judgment, communication and creative problem-solving skills
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive
- Ability to regularly and routinely lift and push at least 50 pounds
- Completion of a background check required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
One City offers market competitive salaries and wages with comprehensive health benefits to all full-time employees. Compensation will be consistent with One City’s approved compensation plan as stipulated by the Board of Directors. Benefits include:
- Salary Range: Minimum of $75,000+, depending on demonstrated knowledge and experience
- Generous time off program, including 18 Days of paid time off, holidays and personal wellness days
- Comprehensive health benefits (medical, dental and vision)
- 401K with employer match of 5.9%
- Voluntary Benefits (Supplemental Life, Accident, Short Term Disability, etc.)
- Children automatically admitted to One City Expeditionary Elementary School
- 25% reduction of tuition for first child enrolled in One City’s Preschool (ages 1 to 3) and 10% for 2nd child
- Family Perks Discount Program
- Life Insurance and Long-term Disability
- Investment in Professional Growth and Development
- Employee Assistance Plan
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
One City is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all team members and applicants, and to maintaining a work environment in which everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
Presently, 70% of our students are learning in-person and 30% are virtual. We have also implemented a rapid COVID-19 testing program in partnership with a testing lab at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and have strong health/safety protocols in place.