Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools-growing our organization's impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
DREAM is seeking a dynamic individual to serve as an After-school Youth Worker in our elementary school program (REAL Kids). The ideal candidate will be able to join DREAM for the full commitment of after-school, starting in January through June. Candidates must also understand and value DREAM's comprehensive approach to youth development and inspire, lead, and motivate DREAM staff to drive outcomes that support youth in recognizing their potential and realizing their dreams.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead a group of up to 18-20 youth in daily after-school activities including sports, social-emotional learning, enrichment and academic support
- Facilitate or co-facilitate lessons to help youth build their social and emotional skills
- Collaborate with team to plan & facilitate various enrichment activities
- Support with homework completion and other academic enrichment
- Model and encourage positive participation in all daily activities, with a focus on team building
- Model professionalism through consistent attendance, timeliness
- Supervise and manage youth behavior at all times using positive youth development strategies
- Participate in weekly professional development and tactical training in addition to formal feedback and coaching.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Must be able to work in person at the program site
- Minimum of 1 year working with and record of success groups of school-age children in a classroom or other youth development setting
- Experience with behavior management systems, including positive youth development, preferred
- Belief in the outcomes of the DREAM List, including the importance of social emotional competency and advocacy for self and others
- Strong oral and written communication skills and presentation skills, preferred
- Exhibits high energy, warmth, enthusiasm and patience in working with youth
- Demonstrated interest in assisting students with homework
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team setting.
REAL Kids PROGRAM HOURS
- This opening is for the REAL Kids site located at PS 146. The hours are:
- M,Th,F: 1:30pm- 5pm
- T, W: 1pm-5:45pm
- Starting at $16 per hour, commensurate with experience
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
From our schools to our playing fields, DREAM is committed to building a team where each individual can bring their full identity and experience to work because representation matters-it enriches our team culture, enhances our ability to innovate, and strengthens our impact in and out of the classroom. DREAM engages staff that represent and appreciate the diversity of our majority Black and Hispanic student body, while working to ensure that our practices are equitable, welcoming, and productive. We are dedicated to creating a world where youth, especially youth of color, have permission to dream-along with the tools and opportunities to make their dreams reality.
Come dream with us.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.