Pre-School Resident Teacher
- Job Type
The AppleTree Early Learning Teacher Residency is an innovative approach designed to prepare you for a career in teaching through hands-on experiences in the classroom. During the first year of the program, you will work closely with a teacher as a classroom apprentice and join in focused practice with a cohort of Residents across our network. During the second year, you’ll have the opportunity to interview and transition to become a Lead Teacher.
Residents receive the necessary training, education, and knowledge in order to be successful during their Residency year and the following years as a Lead Teacher. The Resident is part of a three-person instructional team, under the leadership of a Lead Teacher. The Resident supports the Lead Teacher in all facets of instructional planning and implementation and takes on more responsibilities as the year progresses. Through a partnership with Relay Graduate School of Education, Residents take weekly classes that can lead to a Master of Arts in Teaching after two years.
The Resident Teacher is part of a 3-person instructional team consisting of the Lead Teacher, Resident Teacher and Teaching Assistant. Resident Teachers support the Lead Teacher in all facets of instructional planning and implementation. The Resident Teacher engages in a year-long apprenticeship during which they learn teaching competencies and expand their knowledge of the development of young children through hands-on, classroom experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the Mentor Teacher in an AppleTree classroom to implement the Every Child Ready instructional model with fidelity
- Set an authentically positive tone and build relationships so that each student and family feel valued
- Participate in weekly Resident Teacher professional development
- Pursue a Masters of Arts in Teaching degree with university partner Relay Graduate School of Education
- Analyze quantitative and qualitative data from a variety of sources to understand children's instructional needs and to improve teaching and learning for young children
- Fulfill all standards of participation and professionalism for the AppleTree Early Learning Teacher Residency program
- Strong belief in social equity and a commitment to working with young children from communities that have limited access to quality educational options (Required)
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution conferred by June 2021 (Required)
- Undergraduate minimum GPA of 2.75 (Preferred)
- Experience/strength in early childhood education or working with young children (Preferred)