The school is currently accepting applications for math, science, special education and ESL teachers, grades 6-12. We review our talent pool frequently, and will reach out if there is a future opening that matches your interests. We look forward to hearing from you!
Our teachers possess deep academic content knowledge, hold high expectations for all students, create an inclusive learning environment, and have strong communication/interpersonal skills. As a Teaching Academy, all teachers will be expected to contribute to a vibrant professional learning community, to reflect on and improve their own practice and to mentor, train, and develop resident teachers.
About the Dearborn
Dearborn STEM Academy is a Boston Public School and BPE Teaching Academy serving grades 6-12. Our students are being prepared to graduate with the necessary skills required for college and career success. The school bridges rigorous academics with career readiness, and leverages Boston’s unique position in higher education and industry to provide students with access to authentic real world experiences, while cultivating critical thinking and communications skills.
Dearborn is a part of a PreK-12 neighborhood school pathway that includes the Dudley Street Neighborhood Charter School (PreK-5). Our schools serve as training sites for aspiring teachers participating in the Boston Teacher Residency. In addition, the school is home to a full inclusion Emotional Impairment program and a Cape Verdean Creole SEI and SLIFE program. All of our students participate in intentionally designed STEM exposure, exploration, and engagement experiences All staff work collaboratively to enact ambitious teaching and learning in service of student achievement goals.
Dearborn Principles of Instruction. Our core beliefs about good teaching are:
- The measure of good teaching is student learning.
- Good teaching requires knowledge of content, knowledge of how students typically learn and interact with particular content, and setting of clear instructional goals.
- Teachers must treat all students as sense-makers. Teachers must know all students as individuals and as learners.
- Teachers must design instruction for all students to do complex thinking and academic work.
- Teachers must enter into collaborative relationships with families and communities in service of student learning.
- A dedication and commitment to the mission of Dearborn STEM Academy
- A valid teaching license in the relevant content area required; additional licensure in special education and/or ESL strongly preferred
- SEI endorsement required
- Minimum of three years teaching experience with a record of high student achievement (preferred)
- Ability to teach a wide range of student skill, ability, and developmental levels
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills
- Demonstrated mastery of and enthusiasm for subject matter
- Unyielding commitment to continuous learning and development
- Believer in growth mindset and enthusiastic to reflect and grow as a teacher via coaching and feedback
- Current authorization to work in the United States - Candidates must have such authorization by their first day of employment
BTU, Group 1. Please refer to www.bostonpublicschools.org/ohc (under 'Employee Benefits and Policies') for more information on salary and compensation. Salaries are listed by Unions and Grade/Step.
The Dearborn STEM Academy, a BPS/BPE School, is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace.