President and CEO
- Job Type
The National Association of State Boards of Education (NASBE) has initiated a national search for a president and CEO to replace its retiring leader. The successful candidate will exhibit a commitment to support member states in their pursuit of equity and excellence for all students and to the organization’s core values. NASBE is committed to building a diverse, inclusive team, is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
Scope of the Position
The president and CEO is responsible for leading the organization’s staff, managing a portfolio of programs and services responsive to member needs, and serving as a public voice for the association’s priorities for public education. As the association’s chief executive, the president and CEO is appointed by and directly responsible to its Board of Directors.
NASBE is seeking a visionary leader with experience in mission-driven membership organizations, deep understanding of the processes that enable effective education policymaking, and knowledge of how state boards of education can work collaboratively at the intersection of state, federal, and local public policy. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to lead and inspire staff to meet strategic goals, will have excelled at managing fiscal resources, and will have worked effectively in a nonpartisan environment. The president and CEO will be based in NASBE’s office in Alexandria, Virginia.
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors and staff to promote policymaking that ensures equity and excellence for all students.
- Implement NASBE’s strategic plan, mission, and goals with fidelity.
- Develop a plan to support a thriving membership organization that recruits, retains, and engages member boards.
- Deliver a portfolio of programs and services—including new member orientation, professional development, technical assistance, conferences, publications, and convenings—to build state board capacity.
- Attract and maintain robust national and regional funding to advance NASBE’s mission and goals.
- Build strong, meaningful relationships with state board members, funders, partner and peer organizations, and other state-facing and federal policy leaders.
- In partnership with the Board of Directors, amplify state boards as a distinct, influential voice at the state and national levels.
- Maintain NASBE’s nonpartisan reputation and character.
- Elevate the role of evidence in support of state policymaking.
- Cultivate a trusted, knowledgeable, and expert team to support NASBE’s mission and goals.
- Exercise strong fiscal stewardship over the association’s budget and finances, adhering to generally accepted accounting practices and nonprofit best practices.
- Travel as necessary to implement NASBE's work and priorities.
- Served at least five years in an executive leadership position of an education, nonprofit, or advocacy organization, or in state or federal government
- Worked within membership organizations and with a board of directors
- Supervised and led a team in a collaborative, collegial environment
- Developed, analyzed, or evaluated public policy
- Exercised financial management, secured grants, and identified new revenue streams
- Implemented a strategic plan
- Worked with a broad range of stakeholders on common issues and initiatives
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Advanced degree in education, public policy, management, or other relevant field
- Excellent skills in interpersonal communication, writing, and public speaking
- Familiarity with the work of state boards of education
- Knowledge of education policy landscape and broad understanding of education research
- Ability to leverage a broad network of contacts within the education policy landscape
- Passionate about equity in preK-16 education
- Stellar reputation as a respected, trusted, and compassionate leader
- Courageous decision maker, skilled at setting, managing, and implementing strategic priorities
- Creative and entrepreneurial thinker
- Energetic self-starter, patient, flexible, and able to multitask
- Strong relationship-building skills
- Consensus builder
- Political acumen
- Candid, authentic, transparent communicator
Apply Please submit a letter of interest and CV to email@example.com by March 5, 2021.