New Visions for Public Schools is looking for an experienced software engineer with 4+ years of software development experience working with large scale systems to join our Systems, Data Analytics, and Research team (SYSDAAR). Our new team member will help build, test and maintain our school management platform built on Angular, Node.js, and MongoDB, supplemented by RXJS, Typescript, GraphQL, PostgreSQL, and other technologies.
The SYSDAAR team builds and maintains web applications that respond to educator needs and supports school leaders in effectively integrating data and technology. This team's work is integral to New Visions' direct support to over 700 public NYC high schools and more than 500,000 students in modernizing their tech infrastructure to improve the responsiveness and quality of operations, instruction, and student support.
The problems we are solving are challenging and interesting and our solutions have an immediate impact on students and staff at urban schools in NYC. We are looking for an engineer excited about public service and the prospect of joining a fun and growing team in an open, collaborative, and diverse environment. Who you are:
You are passionate about mission-driven technical work that has a tangible and immediate impact on opportunities and outcomes for young people.
You are a strategic and analytical thinker with a natural curiosity for investigating issues and communicating insights.
You are detail-oriented with a commitment to code quality and accuracy.
You are collaborative and team-oriented with a strong sense of collective responsibility.
You are dedicated to continuous learning and skill-building, seeking out opportunities to develop your own new skills and to mentor team members in their professional growth. Essential Job Functions: Software Design and Development
- Provide leadership around technical architecture and the establishment of robust design patterns.
- Write clean, testable, scalable and well-documented code.
- Proactively contribute ideas for new features and identify areas for improvement.
- Develop a broad understanding of our existing code base and identify high-value refactors to improve code quality over time.
Collaboration with Product, Design, and Quality Assurance teams
- Systematically debug user and system reported problems across all environments, using modern debugging techniques and tools.
- Proactively identify potential problems, recommend solutions, and contribute to implementation of fixes.
Leadership and Communication
- Develop domain knowledge through working with our product management and design teams, which will enable you to understand our user community and subsequently apply knowledge to your systems development and support responsibilities.
- Participate in product requirement review and task sizing/estimation.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Provide leadership in the implementation of smart practices, protocols and technologies
- Provide leadership around team coding standards and code quality via code reviews, mentoring, and pairing
- Actively participate in architecture, engineering, and requirements planning meetings
- Mentor other software engineers on the team
Preferred Knowledge and Skill:
- Familiarity with design patterns (object oriented, singleton, subscriber/observer, functional programming, promises)
- RESTful API development
- Mongo and/or Postgres
- CSS / SCSS
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, to be flexible, and to quickly adapt to new information
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Collaborative and team-oriented with a strong attention to detail
- Prior experience in education is welcome!
- Undergraduate or graduate study in a related field, or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training in the software development field
- At least 4 years of recent work experience in a production software engineering environment
NYC-based headquarters. Remote options available, ideally working from locations in Eastern Standard Time. Additional details will be shared if selected for an interview.Who We Are At New Visions for Public Schools, we work to make great public schools common in New York City. We believe that all of New York City's students deserve public schools that make successful futures possible, especially Black, Latinx, and low-income students who have historically had inequitable access to a great public education. Since 1989, New Visions has been a driving force behind some of the most significant reforms to public education in New York City. Today, our diverse team of professionals develop and scale innovative tools and approaches that help educators address common challenges. Learn more about New Visions HERE. We operate ten public charter schools in the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens and, as a trusted partner of the NYC DOE, we help 1,050 public district schools plan for the success of over 600,000 students citywide. In 2019-20, graduation rates in our Charter and Affinity networks were 94.9% and 86.9% and our college readiness rates were 56.9% and 61.6%. Equal Employment Opportunity Statement New Visions for Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of New Visions that all employees and applicants for employment will be treated in all respects on the basis of their merit and qualifications and without regards to their race, color, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion, gender, military status, marital status, ancestry, or any other reason prohibited by law. New Visions believes that our teams should reflect the diverse communities we serve and that our culture and internal structures should be inclusive and equitable for all employees. We also recognize that perspectives from communities that have been historically marginalized are critical to the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from individuals living in the communities that we serve or who are members of historically marginalized communities. New Visions provides a comprehensive and competitive compensation and benefits package in addition to the opportunity to make a significant impact on education reform and in the lives of urban youth.