Head of Lower School
- Job Type
Head of Lower School
San Diego Jewish Academy (SDJA), an Early Childhood through 12th grade Jewish pluralistic community school, seeks a Head of Lower School to join our talented team of progressive educational leaders to begin July 1, 2021. The Head of Lower School reports directly to the Head of School and is responsible for leadership and oversight of the Golda Meir Lower School, a national blue ribbon award winning K-5th grade program with approximately 250 students. The Head of Lower School collaborates with other members of the Senior Leadership Team, and works closely with the Head of School as a leader and partner in daily operations, innovation and initiatives that allow students to reach their potential in accordance with SDJA’s mission and vision.
SDJA is located on a beautiful 56 acre campus with state of the art learning spaces and athletic facilities. The school philosophy is child centered, values based, forward thinking and dedicated to challenging minds, inspiring purpose and exploring possibilities. With a growth mindset, we believe that everyone, including educators, should have the chance to design, create, test and refine their craft. Rooted in Jewish values, we teach students to be creative, to think critically, to collaborate, and to communicate, providing an integrated, hands-on approach to learning for all students. Our goal is to create future leaders and to meet each child’s potential by promoting academic excellence, social responsibility, and active Jewish living.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Lead and manage the Lower School’s daily operations.
• Hire, inspire, direct, and motivate faculty and staff to achieve their full potential in educating students.
• Serve as a resource to teachers regarding classroom management, teaching methods, differentiated instruction & student assessment to support all students.
• Prepare a master class schedule and assign teachers and students to classes and other duties.
• Work closely with the Lower School Dean of Students/Judaic Director and the Chief Jewish Officer to successfully integrate Jewish learning and experiences.
• Collaborate with the heads of the Early Childhood Center and the Upper School and leadership of the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurial Thinking (CIET) to align curriculum and educational vision, and to build school-wide community.
• Work closely with the CFO and directors of Admissions and Advancement to grow and strengthen the school and ensure compliance with the school budget and policies.
• Represent the Golda Meir Lower School in the Jewish community and the community at large.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
Criteria for successful Head of Lower School candidates
• Skilled at identifying and hiring gifted educators and supporting their professional growth;
• High EQ with excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrable confidence to engage substantively and meaningfully with students, parents, teachers and community supporters/donors;
• Awareness of Jewish tradition and teaching to support the infusion of meaningful Jewish learning experiences throughout the school and curriculum;
• Reflective practitioner with a growth mindset, a deep understanding of pedagogy and a commitment to SDJA’s educational philosophy, appreciating the opportunities and challenges of a pluralistic Jewish environment that balances tradition and innovation;
• Ability to foster an environment of collaboration amongst faculty, across and between academic subjects and grade levels;
• Commitment to high academic standards and successful teaching experience with lower school students, a “master teacher” among lower school faculty;
• Calm, reliable presence during times of uncertainty.
• Masters Degree in Education or Administrative Credential preferred.
• A minimum of 5 years in educational management.
• Progressive educator with 10+ years in education.
• Digitally literate with a deep understanding of technology integration.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills, with a strong customer-service focus.
• Excellent written, verbal, and organizational skills with an ability to effectively communicate with all stakeholders.
We hope to appoint the new Head of Lower School in January. Interested and qualified candidates should express interest and submit the following documents (preferably PDFs) via the application link below:
• A cover letter stating why this job is exciting to you and why you’re the right fit;
• A current résumé;
• A one-page statement of educational philosophy and practice;
• A list of five professional references with name, title, phone number, and email address of each (references will not be contacted without the candidate’s permission).