- Grade Level
- Elementary School
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to (email@example.com).
Cover letter should clearly indicate your prior highly effective principal or
administrative experience. Subject line should include "Name- Principal Application".
POSITION: Principal-Elementary School
• Master's degree from an accredited college or university
• Texas Mid-Management/Principal or appropriate Texas certificate
• Credentials required for teacher appraisal or eligible to obtain
• Candidate must have satisfactory outcome of fingerprinting/background check
• Working knowledge of curriculum and instruction
• Ability to evaluate instructional program and teaching effectiveness
• Strong organizational, communication, public relations and interpersonal skills
• Ability to manage budget and personnel
• Three years of experience as a classroom teacher
• Three years of experience in instructional leadership roles
• Prior and highly effective principal experience preferred
Guided by SWISD's leadership commitment of growth, service and results, the campus Principal directs, supervises and
manages the instructional program and supervises operations at the campus level. Provides instructional leadership to
ensure high standards of instructional service. Directs the implementation of district policies and instructional programs
and manages the operation of all campus activities.
• Monitor instructional and managerial processes to ensure that program activities are related to program outcomes
and use these findings for corrective action and improvement, as well as for recognition of success.
• Collaborate with staff and community to plan, implement and evaluate the curriculum on a systematic basis; include
students, parents and community representatives when appropriate.
• Provide instructional resources and materials to support teaching staff in accomplishing instructional goals.
• Foster collegiality and team building among staff; encourage their active involvement in the collaborative
• Facilitate two-way communication with Superintendent, staff, students, parents and community.
• Communicate and promote high expectations of staff and students; provide for recognition of excellence and
• Facilitate effective and timely conflict resolution.
• Build a common vision with staff for school improvement; direct planning of activities and implement program
cooperatively with staff to ensure attainment of school's mission.
• Identify, analyze and apply research findings to facilitate school improvement.
• Lead a collaborative process to develop a campus improvement plan.
Principal, Elementary School (continued)
• Develop, maintain and use appropriate information systems and records necessary for monitoring the attainment of
campus performance objectives.
• Interview, select and orient new staff.
• Define expectations for staff performance regarding instructional strategies, classroom management and
communication with the public.
• Observe employee performance, record observations and conduct evaluation conferences with all staff.
• Make recommendations relative to personnel placement, transfer, retention, promotion and dismissal following due
• Confer with campus personnel regarding their professional growth; work jointly with them to develop and
Administration and Fiscal/Facilities Management
• Comply with district policies as well as state and federal laws and regulations affecting the campus.
• Facilitate the assignment of responsibilities to appropriate personnel.
• Project and monitor enrollment, personnel and other fiscal needs.
• Supervise maintenance of facilities to ensure a clean, orderly and safe campus, including cooperation with
governmental entities as appropriate.
• Collaborate with faculty and encourage student input to develop a student management system that results in
positive student behavior and enhances the school climate.
• Ensure that school rules are uniformly observed and that student discipline is appropriate and equitable following
• Confer with parents, students and teachers concerning school and student issues.
Professional Growth and Development
• Use information gleaned from assessment instruments, the appraisal process, evaluative feedback from
supervisors, current research and other professional sources to improve performance.
• Provide leadership in addressing challenges facing the profession, pursue professional development activities and
disseminate ideas and information to other professionals.
• Observe professional ethical standards in accordance with generally accepted community standards and the Texas
Education Agency code of ethics.
• Attendance at work is an essential function.
• Perform other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor and/or Superintendent.
• Articulate the school's mission to the community and solicit the community's support.
• Ascertain community needs and initiate programs to meet those needs.
• Solicit parental and community involvement in school.
• Supervise and provide for the evaluation of all campus personnel
Mental & Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Ability to concentrate (detailed work), communicate effectively (verbal and written); interpret policy, procedures, and
Principal, Elementary School (continued)
I have received a copy of the job description for my position. Date: _________________________________________
Employee Name (print) Signature
Days: 226 data; reason, understand verbal instructions, analyze, differentiate, memorize, read, coordinate district functions,
compile, compute, instruct, and maintain emotional control under stress.
Occasional district and statewide travel, frequent prolonged and irregular hours.