Computer Science/Mathematics Teacher
High School Teaching/ Teacher - Mathematics
2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR
COMPUTER SCIENCE/MATH TEACHER
Instruct students in the specific area of specialty; help students learn subject matter and skills that will broaden their learning experiences and contribute to their development in order to meet high expectations; communicate with parents; create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning; participate in professional learning
- Follows the scope and sequence of the instructional program as defined and approved by the Norwalk Board of Education
- Sets and reinforces clear expectations and routines
- Manages the classroom and individual student behavior to maintain an advantageous learning environment
- Prepares lesson plans that achieve clear objectives, uses appropriate techniques, and serves the needs of all learners in the classroom
- Demonstrates strong content knowledge
- Maintains accurate and complete records as required
- Conducts parent/teacher conferences
- Assesses student learning on continual basis and identify areas of intervention if needed
- Keeps parents up-to-date of student progress through use of interim reports, report cards, and/or conferences
- Designs instruction to meet the needs of all students through both individual and small group settings as needed
- Designs and implements assessments that measure progress and use assessments to refine curriculum and instructional practices
- Designs clear and specific learning assessments
- Maintains a positive learning environment that encourages open communication between the teacher and learner
- Maintains a positive school community image that encourages ethical student behavior
- Maintains ongoing communication with parents
- Assists in the selection of textbooks, equipment and other education materials
- Establishes and maintains professional relationships
- Participates in professional learning by attending seminars and workshops to improve instructional practice and positively affect student achievement
- Demonstrates knowledge of teaching methods, materials and educational practices for secondary school teaching
- Experience working with students in a diverse school setting
- Experience with team teaching in a multicultural environment
- Ability to communicate ideas and directives clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Effective, active listening skills
- Ability to work effectively with others
- Organizational and problem-solving skills
- Active grade appropriate teacher certification (Endorsement 029), as required by the Connecticut State Department of Education; DSAP-eligible candidate will be considered
- Knowledge and skills required would generally be acquired with a Bachelor's Degree in Education or in a field appropriate.
- Demonstrated and successful experience in a multi-cultural setting.
- Demonstrated ability to teach high school classes. Experience with team teaching. Urban experience.
- Human relations skills to work effectively with students, parents, school administrators and school staff.
- Knowledge of teaching methods, materials and education practices applicable to secondary school teaching.
- Ability to prepare and implement effective plans.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Superintendent and/or Norwalk Board of Education may find appropriate
Days: Monday Friday
Salary: In accordance with the NFT contract
NORWALK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Norwalk Board of Education to ensure equal educational opportunity for all students and to prohibit unlawful discrimination because of race, color, religion, creed, age, marital status, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or physical and mental disability in the school district's educational program and activities; and to prohibit unlawful discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, creed, age, marital status, national origin, gender; gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or physical and mental disability.