School Nurse - Bilingual
- Job Type
- Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of five (5) years successful experience as a registered nurse.
- Possession of a NJ School Nurse Certificate or enrolled in a program to obtain the same
- Possession of a valid NJ Driver’s License, only if the operation of a vehicle rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Bilingual and able to read, write and speak Spanish/ Portuguese/ French Creole is preferred
The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not be performed all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
- Develops a comprehensive health record on each new student that registers for school including an appropriate health history. The information contained therein includes identification data, pre-natal, neo-natal and early development history; disease experiences; social and family history of parents and siblings; immunization data in accordance with the requirements of the State of New Jersey; and notes and advice or referrals discussed with the parent/guardian.
- Performs routine screenings of vision and hearing, weighing and measuring, and blood pressure and visual dental check. When deviation from the norm is detected, the certified school nurse is responsible for referring the student and parent to the appropriate practitioner or agency for follow-up, and documenting such activities.
- Interprets the findings of the physical examination to parents, teacher and child (on his level) to motivate the student to take an interest and develop a responsibility for his own health. Where physical defects are detected, assists the parent in contacting the available professional resources for diagnosis and treatment.
- Provides emergency medical care for all employees and arranges for care and follow-up at an appropriate emergency room or at the facility designated by the district.
- Counsels parents, teachers and students concerning medical and health related information. Instructs teaches and other staff regarding ‘the signs and symptoms of diseases of individual students that would indicate that they need immediate health services.
- Conducts tuberculin screening programs on staff and students as mandated by the New Jersey State Department of Health and Education.
- Reviews every medical record annually to provide information to parents and administration concerning the immunization status of all school students as is required by law.
- Provide input into health education programs by being the health resource person in the school. The certified school nurse may actively participate in the health and in-service educational instruction for students and their parents.
- Informs and interprets for the child study team all medical and or other findings on the NPS children that will enable them to better understand the child in order that he may be properly placed and attain a level of achievement consistent with his abilities.
- Assists in planning and maintaining a safe and healthful school environment.
- Confers with representatives of community agencies in matters pertaining to family and community health.
- Dispenses medication prescribed by a physician in keeping with the current guidelines set forth by the Medical Director. Provides nursing care as deemed necessary by the child’s health condition.
- Serves on various committees within the school as is deemed necessary.
- Administers prescribed treatments and ensures that prescribed measures are carried out.
- May be requested to fulfill any nursing function within the scope and practice of the New Jersey Nurse Practice Act.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Performs other duties consistent with specific contractual terms of employment as assigned by the Director or designee.
Director of Health Services
Salary, Terms & Affiliation
- Salary subject to change pending NTA contract negotiations.
- Union Affiliation: Newark Teachers Association (NTA)
- Employment Period: Ten months