Seeking Passionate Teachers and Instructional Coaches!
NMSI’s mission is to advance STEM education to ensure that all students, especially those furthest from opportunity, thrive and reach their highest potential as problem solvers and lifelong learners who pursue their passions and tackle the world’s toughest challenges. NMSI is seeking highly successful Pre-K-12 teachers, instructional coaches, and school leaders who are inspired by this mission to become members of our regionally based Coach corps. NMSI Coaches support our core programs, which include the College Readiness Program, Laying the Foundation, Leadership Development, AlignEd, and PreK-2nd programming —by delivering professional development for teachers or content support for students.
This is a temporary part-time position expected to end on May 31, 2021, with the possibility of continuation based on staffing needs. Coaches will be expected to utilize their personal laptop for preparation and facilitation.
What You’ll Do
NMSI Coaches work with AP, Pre-AP, high school, middle school, and elementary teachers, school leaders, and their students in online and face-to-face settings to improve teacher impact. Through working with teachers and/or leaders through NMSI’s PreK-12 programming, Coaches develop content and lead face-to-face and online cohorts of teachers and/or leaders in skill-building professional development sessions that focus on the development of teachers’ content, pedagogical content knowledge, instructional planning, assessment practices, and data analysis skills. Coaches help teachers identify student misconceptions, skill gaps, and learning needs to strengthen student performance in rigorous coursework.
In addition, NMSI Coaches facilitate online learning and collaboration sessions that support teachers’ and leaders’ ability to plan, execute, and adapt instruction. Using their knowledge of teacher and school-level goals, data, and instructional focus areas, Coaches assigned to work with teachers, leaders, and students in NMSI’s core programs will support students during in-person and online content review sessions. Coaches working with school leaders will support them in building leadership teams and their capacity to increase access and opportunity to engage with STEM education. Depending on individual experience and NMSI training needs, Coaches could be assigned to any of NMSI's core programming, including College Readiness Program, Laying the Foundation, PreK-8th Computer Science, or Leadership Development.
What are the details?
- Coach and mentor teachers, leaders, and students in online and/or face-to-face settings, while maintaining high levels rigor for both teacher-facing professional development and facilitation of student-facing review sessions.
- Coaches will be assigned training opportunities within NMSI’s core and custom programs based upon their content qualifications, adult facilitation and coaching experience, and proven success in improving student outcomes.
- Provide targeted, actionable feedback to teachers and leaders on their practice of the techniques and strategies presented during PD sessions.
- Have a deep understanding of teachers’ and schools’ students and classroom complexities; be able to support teachers practice in the application of their own learning to classroom or leadership practice.
- Promote a learning environment and mentorship for teachers, leaders, and students that is anchored in self-reflection, culturally responsive instruction that is aimed to accelerate student growth and achievement.
- Ensure the effective integration and implementation of NMSI training and resources in teachers' classrooms through coaching, modeling, and feedback.
- Support the creation, development, editing, and critical review of teacher, leader, and student-facing content.
- Complete NMSI Train-the-Trainer professional development opportunities.
- Participate in regular data-sharing and planning meetings with NMSI staff.
- Serve as an ambassador for NMSI and NMSI's mission and values to the school communities in which they work, fostering a commitment to equity and access to rigorous coursework and creating educational environments in which students can thrive and reach their highest potential.
- Other duties as assigned
What you Bring
We are looking for amazing teachers and school leaders who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to support teacher, leader, and student learning. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and have a growth mindset, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
NMSI Coaches are experienced educators who demonstrate a track record of success working with students in high-need schools, hold high expectations for students, teachers, and leaders, and have strong organizational and communication skills.
- Experience: Deep knowledge of content and instruction, with at least 4 years of teaching experience in AP Science, Math, Computer Science, English, History, or Art courses; Pre-AP math, science, computer science, ELA, or social studies courses; Pre-K-5 classroom instruction; and/or Leadership Development, experience as a school leader/administrator, counselor, department head, etc.
- Other Preferred Experience: STEM-based learning experience, experience in high-need schools or with high-need populations, and a proven track record of raising student achievement is preferred. AP Reader experience is preferred for Coaches who will work with AP teachers and students. Experience coaching teachers in modifying, adapting, or extending curricula to better address student needs and facilitating professional development
- Mission Focused: Strong belief in the ability of all students to achieve at high levels and willingness to advocate for equity and access in AP, Pre-AP, or other STEM programs and classrooms.
- College-Readiness Guru: Strong familiarity and experience with state and national teaching standards as they relate to College-readiness standards, such as AP assessment frameworks, Common Core State Standards, and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
- Understand Effective Teaching and/or School Leadership: Immediate understanding of what effective teaching and or school leadership looks like and a deep commitment to the importance of effective and rigorous instruction.
- Technology Proficiency: Ability to facilitate a learning experience in an online LMS such as Blackboard, Canvas, and/or Google Classroom. These skills include but are not limited to:
- Respond to participant questions, emails, and discussion board posts in a professional way that is in accordance with NMSI standards for learning.
- Review online course materials to ensure technical accuracy, submit any errors/improvements, and be confident/prepared to teach.
- Review and update online grade books and provide constructive feedback.
- Facilitate live synchronous sessions that promote a positive learning environment.
- (Preferred qualification) Ability to build a learning experience for teachers and students using content authoring tools such as Articulate.
- (Preferred qualification) Ability to navigate and create course content in an LMS such as Blackboard and Google Classroom.
- Expert Communicator: Ability to communicate direct feedback in a compelling way that inspires teachers and leaders to make immediate improvements to instruction that will accelerate their students’ achievement; Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Flexible – You are comfortable working in an ambiguous environment with competing priorities.
- Growth Mindset: You learn from failure and crave feedback because you know that it makes you better; you are also eager to give feedback to your manager, team, and colleagues. Committed to ongoing training and education in adult facilitation.
- Committed: Ability to deliver a total of 10-28 days of teacher, leader, or student facing events over a calendar year. Many events occur during the summer and on Saturdays, but some weekday school-year events may also need to be facilitated.
- We anticipate sending out offer letters in December 2020. All candidates will be notified with a status update by January 2021.
More searches like this
- Teaching High School Temporary jobs in Working from home
- Computer Science Teacher High School Temporary jobs in Working from home
- Fine Arts Teacher High School Temporary jobs in Working from home
- Art Teacher High School Temporary jobs in Working from home
- Social Studies Teacher High School Temporary jobs in Working from home