- Job Type
Hamilton County Schools is seeking an experienced communications leader to plan and coordinate strategic communications and public relations in order to enhance school, Board of Education, and community understanding of Hamilton County Schools’ mission, objectives, services, and activities. The communications officer will perform a variety of specialized duties in media relations, strategic communications, brand strategy, social media, website communications, videography, and public engagement. In addition, the communications officer will oversee the communications team.
- Develops strategic communication plan for the district.
- Provide high-quality communications and marketing that effectively promotes Hamilton County Schools and its services. Provides training for district staff related to effective communications and marketing.
- Provides leadership in media relations and crisis communications.
- Plans and coordinates development of public engagement plans and public information materials in such a way that shapes public opinion and helps the community understand all that is offered through Hamilton County Schools. Listens to the concerns of the public.
- Attends school board meetings and other district wide events to promote and share information with the public.
- Leads the communications team for the school district. In addition to traditional media, oversees website, social media, videography and internal communication. Researches and implements new formats and media to engage internal and external audiences.
- Knowledgeable regarding social media platforms, including websites, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Four-year degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or closely related field required. Master’s Degree in related field preferred. Five (5) years of progressive communications or public relations experience. Previous experience with public schools preferred. Or, any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with stakeholders inside and outside Hamilton County Schools.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships inside and outside Hamilton County Schools.
- Ability to work in a highly visible and fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to work under pressure and deal effectively with unexpected events in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Demonstrates understanding of traditional media and is comfortable working with social media platforms, including websites, Facebook, Twitter and other new media.
- Ability to research, organize, compose, design and deliver press releases, public information, and education materials.
- Ability to use multiple technology devices to complete essential functions of job.