Deputy Director for Takoma Park Child Development Center
- Job Type
Are you looking for a meaningful job? Do you want to use your expertise in early childhood education to join an incredible team of engaged teachers, parents and students? Then come join the Takoma Park Child Development Center (TPCDC) team!
TPCDC is an independently operated, non-profit organization. We are currently operating two programs: a full-time, year-round preschool program for children 2-5 years old and a full-time “learning hub” that provides supervision and enrichment for kindergarten-3rd grade students as they attend remote learning classes. Our current capacity is 77 children. Before the pandemic, we served over 175 children, the preschool included 18-24 month old, and we also offered before/after care and summer and holiday camps for school-age children. We expect to resume these programs when possible. TPCDC was founded in 1981, and has remained singularly focused on living our mission: to provide children with a safe and nurturing environment where a positive sense of self, feelings of trust and security, and a love for learning and respect for others will develop. The Center is also dedicated to promoting a harmonious, diverse community, and to supporting families by providing consistent, convenient, affordable and high-quality child care.
Job Requirements Functions and Scope of Responsibilities:
● Assists (and reports to) the Director with the overall operation of the Center’s programs, including licensing, curriculum development and delivery, and health and safety of the children, with a special focus of meeting COVID-era regulations.
● Stays current with all licensing, state and local regulations, and ensures that the site and all of its staff are in compliance at all times.
● Assists Director as needed in preparing the Center and continuing to adhere to MD Excels accreditation.
● Responsible for creating, developing, and maintaining a positive relationship with teachers, parents, and other staff.
● Provides training and orientation for new parents, teachers, and children including touring families and transitioning children.
● Manage some office responsibilities including supporting with payroll, purchasing supplies, and some accounting.
● Manage financial activities together with the Director according to quarterly schedules, including reviewing budgets, approving expenses, distributing funds, planning fundraising events, and establishing monetary goals.
Education, Certification, Skills, and Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood, Elementary Education, Recreation, Human Services, or a related area.
● Minimum of three years experience working primarily with preschoolers or school age children (depending on program) in a licensed child care center.
● Must meet the Montgomery County and State of Maryland licensing requirements.
● Leadership experience and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Self-motivated with ability to problem solve and make decisions independently.
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google applications, QuickBooks, and education technology, like Zoom, Canvas, and Tadpoles.
● Spanish language proficiency is a plus. Some goals the successful applicant will need to achieve over the course of the first year include:
● Establish clear operating protocols and bring the filing system online to better understand the needs of the center as well as direct the 200+ long waitlist at the Center.
● Oversee the operation of the school including: conducting classroom ratio checks, classroom and faculty scheduling, developing and implementing a transition system, and achieving all QA Standards.
● Identify and comply with all licensing requirements and cultivate positive relationships with the State of Maryland licensing bodies.
● Provide assistance to teachers with lesson plan preparation and theme development and review lesson plan books, posted lesson plans, daily activity reports, and child portfolios.
● Remain current on research and development in the field of early childhood development and actively participate in professional organizations, conferences, and lectures.
TPCDC is very proud of its history within the community and the incredible tenure of the teachers who proudly serve the families. This position will have a rare opportunity to assist in leading a strong Center as it begins a new chapter in its more than 30 year history. We believe a proven record of accomplishment in early childhood for a daycare center similar in size and scope would be critical for someone to be successful in this role. If you have that experience, we’d like to hear from you! Interested candidates may apply by sending an email with a cover letter and resume to lara.tpcdc@gmail(dot)com.
Please include "Deputy Director" in the subject of the email. TPCDC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.