Communications Specialist for School FY21 (1.0 FTE)
- Job Type
Student Support - Salaried/ CLAS - 8301 - COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
ITS ABOUT KIDS SUPPT SERVICES
20-21 School Year
TITLE: Communications Specialist REPORTS TO: Superintendent's Designee SUPERVISES: N/A
To ensure communications and public relations matters are efficiently and effectively reported to staff, employees, students and the community of the Fayette County Public Schools.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in planning and conducting internal and external public relations programs and strategies for the school district.
- Write, edit and create layouts for division publications, information displays, TV scripts and the division's external web site and Intranet; assist in the production of multimedia presentations.
- Respond to community and media requests for information; act as media spokesperson and staff advisor
- Assist in the planning and coordination of district programs and media events; photograph programs and events for publications, the Web site and/or news media.
- Plan and implement activities, projects and programs designed to improve school and community relations.
- Monitor the supply of publications and brochures and notify appropriate personnel of needed reprints or revisions.
- Maintain confidential information appropriately and exercise good judgment when communicating with the public.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain regular attendance.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Electronic media communications to include computerized text-editing word-processing equipment, television and internet.
- Public school system operations, policies and programs.
- Creative writing and editing skills.
- Organization and planning skills.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Various life styles and community groups.
- Work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, or beyond the regularly scheduled work day with little or no advance notice.
- Analyze technical educational material and present it in easy-to-understan formats for general audience.
- Deal tactfully and effectively with FCPS personnel, external organizations and the general public.
- Proficiency in the use of personal computers and desktop publishing.
- Maintain confidential information appropriately and exercise good judgment when communicating to the public.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Plan and organize work.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in communications, public relations, journalism or a related field and a minimum of six years of professional experience in communications, public relations, journalism, education or a related field; including writing and editing a wide variety of public information materials; news media and management experience preferred.
Licenses and other requirements:
- Work is performed while standing, sitting and/or walking.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively using speech, vision and hearing.
- Requires the use of hands for simple grasping and fine manipulations.
- Requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, reaching.
- Requires the ability to lift, carry, push or pull light weights, up to 30 pounds.
Kiyon Massey (Kiyon.Massey@fayette.kyschools.us)