Special Education Paraeducator (Dzantik`i Heeni Middle School)
- Grade Level
- Middle School
Support Staff/ Special Education Paraeducator
Dzantik`i Heeni Middle School
Open Until Filled
Location: Districtwide (Dzantik`i Heeni Middle School)
Part Time Position (.9333 FTE)
Position Summary: This position works primarily with students who are in the Developmental Education Classroom (DEC), within our special education programs. Presents material and facilitates activities to improve skills in relation to the educational goals found in a student's Individualized Education Program (IEP). Performs needed life skill activities for/with students that are prescribed in their IEPs. These activities may include, but are not limited to, toileting, physical transfers, helping with and promoting personal hygiene, and emotional regulation. This position will require you to work individually and in small groups; follow written and/or oral instructions; successfully complete the base training required for the position; and abide by the rules and laws that govern working with students with disabilities, as outlined in the Paraeducator Handbook, Board of Education policy, and State and federal law.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities. Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates possession of the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities. A typical way to obtain these would be:
- High School diploma.
- Some prior experience working with school age children preferred.
- CPR, first aid and district approved behavior management techniques may be required.
- Valid Alaska drivers license required.
- Must have either an AA degree, or 48 semester hours, or be willing to take and pass the Highly Qualified Paraprofessional Exam.
- Files and record keeping.
- Personal computers and related software.
- School age children's behavior.
- Behavior modification.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Provide instructional assistance in assigned areas.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Operate a personal computer and related software.
- Maintain effective working relationships with staff, students and parents
Compensation: This is a part-time 9-month position, working 35 hours per week, with a starting salary of $21.31 per hour plus differential. We offer an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision, the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) plan, and paid time off.
Selected hire will be fingerprinted at applicant's expense and fingerprints forwarded to the Alaska State Troopers and the FBI for a records check.