SCHOOL LIBRARIAN (ELEMENTARY)
- Grade Level
- Elementary School
Student Support Services/ Librarian - Media Specialist
1.0 FTE - District
Work Year Base Salary Deadline
July 23, 2020 10 months As per SOMEA Open Until Filled
The primary goal of this position is to provide instruction to students and assist staff in library, media and technology services.
- New Jersey School Library Media Specialist or Associate School Library Media Specialist Certification required.
- Teaching/Librarian experience required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status.
POSITION TITLE SCHOOL LIBRARIAN / EDUCATIONAL MEDIA SPECIALIST
- NJ Educational Media Specialist or School Library Media Specialist certification
- Masters in Library & Information Science/Educational Media from an accredited university
- Knowledge of use of technology as retrieval and instructional tool
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Required criminal history background check
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
JOB GOAL(S) The school educational media specialist has the responsibility of implementing the Information Technology Curriculum and administering the program and media center to help support, enrich, and accomplish the educational goals of the school district.
JOB RESPONSIBILITY AND AUTHORITY Supervise paraprofessionals, student assistants and volunteers.
1. Encourage reading and lifelong learning by stimulating interests and fostering competencies in the effective use of ideas and information.
2. Applies expertise in the selection of all materials/resources (print, non-print, electronic and online), which includes the evaluation, selection, and acquisition of resources in terms of the criteria established to meet the needs of the instructional/curricular, developmental, and individual interests of students.
3. Models and promotes collaborative planning with classroom teachers in order to teach concepts and skills of information processes integrated with classroom content.
4. Works with teachers and administrators in the design and implementation of curriculum, integrating library/media information technology services, skills, and materials with classroom teaching programs.
5. Designs and implements instruction that engages students' interest, passions, and needs which drive their learning.
6. Administers the library media program in order to support the mission of the district and school through assessment and analysis of collections, policies, procedures and operations.
7. Demonstrates awareness of current trends in library information instructional technology and applies them as appropriate.
8. Participates in appropriate building, department and district meetings.
9. Assists with development and administration of the center's budget.
10. Schedules and manages the library/media information technology center's operation including OPAC use and at the secondary level the use of library computer labs.
Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Director of Educational Media & Technology and/or the building Principal or designee.
OF THE POSITION: To maintain effective relationships with administration and faculty and other department members.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT 10 Months
Salary as per SOMEA Agreement