General Studies Teacher
- Job Type
Come join a committed, caring, talented faculty in delivering an exemplary and inspiring general and Jewish education. Together, we ensure a vibrant Jewish future through the growth of confident, compassionate thinkers who engage the world through Jewish values.
The Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School in Rockville, MD is seeking candidates to fill an anticipated opening for a Lower School General Studies (GS) Teacher in grades Junior K-5 for the 2020-2021 academic year.
All GS teachers at CESJDS instruct students in the curricular areas of reading, writing, social studies, and mathematics. The CESJDS Junior K and Kindergarten grade levels are early childhood programs that balance academics and play in a developmentally appropriate setting. They focus on real-world experiences, structured fun, learning through play and song, and building community. In grades 1-5, our reading and writing curricula are based in the practice of Reading and Writing Workshop and our math program is built around hands-on investigative units, also in a workshop environment. Candidates with experience in these methodologies are highly desirable.
Candidates will possess the following skills in and dispositions toward education:
- a passion for education
- a palpable love for and warmth with students
- a “whole-child” approach to teaching and learning that focuses on growth in academic, social-emotional, physical, and spiritual domains
- a progressive approach to education that includes expertise in differentiation of instruction for enriched, grade level, and supported students
- excellent written and verbal communication skills
- strong classroom management skills
- skills to create a joyful, interactive, and engaging learning environment
- comfort with pro-active parent collaboration
- experience with integrating technology into teaching practice
- interest in partnering with colleagues within and across subject disciplines to plan and develop curriculum
- a commitment to fostering an inclusive and communal learning environment
- openness to professional reflection and feedback
Bachelor’s degree in Elementary or Early Childhood Education (or 90-hour MSDE course for Junior K candidates) or a related field required, with a Master’s degree preferred and a minimum of three to five years of successful, formal teaching experience in a public or independent school.
Candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume and references to www.cesjds.org/careers include Job Code GS100.
The Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.