Program Director of Health and Wellness Education
BPS Health & Wellness | Boston MA 02119 USA | Full Time - School Year | Revised: 08/23/2012
In September 2010, the Boston Public Schools (BPS) Superintendent Johnson created the Health and Wellness Department, the district’s Coordinated School Health Department, and released Healthy Connections: the district’s strategic plan to actively promote the health and wellness of all students to advance both their healthy development and readiness to learn. The BPS Health & Wellness Department is responsible for leading the district’s efforts to increase the quantity and improve the quality of health education, physical education and physical activity in schools; improve staff wellness; and create a healthier school environment where the healthy choice is the easy choice for all students.
Position Summary and General Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Program Director of Health and Wellness Education will lead the implementation of a comprehensive K-12 health education program and professional development for the district. The Program Director of Health and Wellness Education will support the integration of comprehensive health education into other subject areas, such as physical education.
The Program Director of Health and Wellness Education will work closely with the Executive Director of the Health and Wellness Department to support the policies and goals of the Superintendent’s Acceleration Agenda, Healthy Connections, and the department’s strategic objectives. This person will work in close partnership with schools and community partner to develop and support comprehensive health programming and professional development; and identify successful strategies for implementation of health curriculum and programs. Other responsibilities include supervising Health and Wellness Department staff, indentifying, securing and managing external grant funding.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Implement a comprehensive K-12 health education program for the district
- Identify and assess current delivery of K-12 school health curriculum and resources
- Analyze data to make appropriate, equitable health education program and policy recommendations.
- Revise and align the BPS Health Education Frameworks with district, state and national standards, policies and initiatives.
- Oversee revision, development and coordination of comprehensive K-12 school health curriculum goals that promote positive health behaviors and works to reduce or eliminate health risk behaviors
- Identify model programs/curricula/practices, and implement necessary changes to school systems and healthier school environments
- Coordinate the identification and adoption of high quality instructional materials citywide
- Develop and communicate a plan for the adoption and delivery of comprehensive health programs according to framework goals and objectives
- Develop and manage resources that support and enhance health education learning
- Develop a budget to support training and material purchases
- Create a system for tracking implementation of comprehensive health education and collaboration with community agencies
- Work with school leadership to evaluate and monitor program/curricula effectiveness
- Supervise Health and Wellness Department staff, as assigned by the Executive Director
- Lead the Health Education Department Team and other workgroups as assigned
Lead comprehensive K-12 health education professional development
- Identify, communicate, and implement a plan of continued professional growth and development for health educators and support staff
- Lead the ongoing development, implementation and evaluation of year-round, city-wide and school-based workshops, courses, institutes and other professional development opportunities, including the Summer Teachers Institute
- Support instructional leaders in their professional development efforts
- Provide professional development and direct support to health educators
Communicate and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders
- Collaborate with community partners and schools to identify and map resources available and coordinate integration of community resources into school models
- Effectively communicate to school leaders, staff, and external partners
- Identify and secure future funding opportunities to support the ongoing mission and strategic objectives of the department.
- Support the integration of comprehensive health education goals into school-based curricula, such as physical education, and community-based programs
- Collaborate with Wellness team members to communicate policy and strategic plans, and share data
- Participate in district Wellness Council and/or comprehensive health education meetings and contribute to discussions in a professional manner
- Utilize data to generate reports and communicate results with individual schools, district, and other funding or community partners.
- Represent the Health and Wellness Department at district meetings and local and national conferences
Assist school-based supervisors with establishing effective health education performance evaluation processes
Perform other related duties as requested by the Executive Director.
- Master’s degree in related field (i.e. health education, public health, nursing)
- Massachusettsteacher’s certification in health education
- 3-5 years teaching health with 2 plus years program management experience
- Knowledge ofMassachusettsschool health curriculum standards
- Strong organizational and management skills with demonstrated experience in leadership, team building, and supervision
- Demonstrated success working with teachers and/or administrators in a leadership and professional development capacity
- Demonstrated success collaborating with external agencies on the implementation of program and professional development initiatives
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates ability to communicates effectively both in writing and orally, including documentation, recordkeeping and correspondence
- Ability to work independently, multi-task and prioritize work, and meet multiple deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a team and motivate others to meet goals
- Experience working within large school district, especially BPS
- Experience in developing, implementing, and/or evaluating comprehensive school health strategies
- Knowledge or experience with grant management or grant writing
|Location||Boston, MA, United States|
|Organization Type||Public School|
|Grade Level||Elementary 4-6, Middle School/Junior High, High School|
|Teaching field||Health/Physical Education|
|Contact Name||Lauren Kopper|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|