Special Education and/or E.L.L. Co-teacher K-2
Global Community Charter School | New York NY 10031 USA | Full Time - 12 Month | Revised: 05/17/2013
Special Education and/or E.L.L Certified Collaborative Team Co-Teacher (ICT/CTT) Grades K-2
Global Community Charter School (GCCS) serves the communities of West Harlem by providing Kindergarten through eighth-grade students an education that is rigorous and inquiry-based, one that teaches students and their families to work successfully together across differences in language, culture, economic background, age, and nationality. Our school establishes a solid foundation that prepares students for success in their secondary education pursuits and equips them with the courage and conviction to make a difference.
Next to parents, teachers have the most significant impact on the lives of students. Are you an educator with a passion for ensuring that your students are equipped for success in the classroom and beyond? Are you intrigued with the possibility of using all of your skills and experience to help educate and inspire elementary students who are responding to progressive and exciting learning adventures? Do you crave authentic collaboration? Are you clever, creative, resourceful and self-reflective? If so, West Harlem’s Global Community Charter School needs you in the role of Special Education and/or English Language Learner Co-Teacher.
Each classroom of about 25 students is co-taught with a certified General Education Teacher and a Special Education and/or E.L.L. certified Teacher. Together, each team is responsible for all academic progress and social and emotional development working with additional staff in roles of Behavior Specialists, Family Coordinator, along with Teaching Specialists in Art, Music and Physical Education.
Reporting to the Head of School/ Director of Teaching and Learning, the Special Education and/or E.L.L. Teacher will be responsible for co-teaching a class of 25 students. He or she will collaboratively develop curriculum and activities along with assessments that measure progress toward the academic standards of GCCS. The two Co-Teachers are responsible for establishing and maintaining classrooms where whole group and small group instruction, discussion, projects and cooperative work engage students, keep classes focused and infuse a lasting desire to learn in all.
- Collaboratively plans and implements instructional units which adhere to New York State Learning Standards, Common Core, and International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP) philosophy.
- Differentiates instruction for students as integral aspect of planning and teaching. Understands Workshop Model in design of instruction.
- As Special Education or ELL certified teacher, ensures that Individualized Education Program (IEP) requirements are taught and evaluated for results.
- Coordinates with co-teacher and other teachers to meet program requirements in English Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies and Science.
- Evaluates and tracks student progress and understands child-development using a variety of assessments fully aligned with instructional outcomes to provide a comprehensive description of students’ abilities and needs and to inform instruction.
- Maintains open communication with parents, starting early in school year, including regular progress reports and demonstrated responsiveness to parent concerns and questions.
- Engages in effective and appropriate classroom management including implementing class and individual expectations and effective follow-up.
- Performs other instructional duties, as deemed appropriate by the Head of School and Director of Teaching and Learning.
- Communicates effectively with students, parents, and colleagues with an on-going and pro-active problem-solving approach.
Qualification, Skills, and Knowledge Requirements
Bachelor’s degree and certification in Early Childhood (birth through Grade 2) and/or Childhood Education (Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 6), and either Special Education or English Language Learner required. Minimum of five years of successful, full-time lead teaching experience, preferably in an urban school setting. Demonstrated success working with students from educationally underserved areas. Bilingual ability in English and Spanish or French, is desired. Experience with IBPYP also desired but not essential.
To be considered, send resume and cover letter including salary requirements to email@example.com. Be sure to include the title of the position that you are applying for in the subject of the email. No telephone inquiries please. GCCS is committed to diversity and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates in this search. GCCS is an EOE.
|Location||New York, NY, United States|
|Organization Type||Charter School|
|Grade Level||Pre-School/Early Childhood, Elementary 1-3|
|Teaching field||Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, ESL/ESOL, Special Education, Bilingual Education|
|Experience Years||3 yrs|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|