Effectiveness Coach – TEACH Charlotte
The New Teacher Project | Charlotte NC 28201 USA | Full Time - 12 Month | Revised: 11/07/2012
Effectiveness Coach – TEACH Charlotte
TNTP seeks a full-time Effectiveness Coach for our TEACH Charlotte program. This position is available immediately and is based at our program office in Charlotte, NC. TNTP will provide a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving, if applicable.
New Teacher Effectiveness and TEACH Charlotte
The New Teacher Effectiveness Group is a leading provider of talented new teachers. TNTP's rigorous training program – beginning with intensive pre-service training and culminating in state certification – prepares people without formal education backgrounds to be effective in challenging school environments. At every step, TNTP ensures that only teachers who prove their ability to raise student achievement enter and remain in the classroom.
TEACH Charlotte recruits, selects and trains outstanding individuals to teach in high-need public schools in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools district (CMS). For more information, please visit www.teachcharlotte.org.
Role and Responsibilities
The Effectiveness Coach prepares, develops, and evaluates participants to be the most effective first year teachers in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
Specifically, the Effectiveness Coach will:
Coach and develop all first year participants to meet teacher performance goals
- Work with a team of part-time observers to coach and evaluate participants to ensure growth
- Observe all participants regularly throughout the year to evaluate proficiency in specific teaching skills and identify development areas
- Analyze teacher performance to determine key levers for improvement and align support to ensure growth
- Actively coach participants in their classrooms, including modeling skills and techniques, providing bite-sized feedback, and having participants practice discrete skills and techniques
- Share classroom performance data regularly with stakeholders, including CMS staff and school principals.
Manage Field Experience during pre-service training (winter and summer)
- Lead / Assist with the hiring, training, and management of pre-service training staff
- Assist with the planning of the Field Experience component of PST
- Assist with the set up and maintenance of the PST site (posters, attendance systems, bulletin boards, etc.)
- Identify and act on trends in participant performance
- Establish and reinforce a culture of achievement that drives participants to ensure that all students achieve at high levels through all interactions with participants and PST team members
Implement the Assessment of Classroom Effectiveness (ACE)
- Collaborate with colleagues to secure and analyze high-quality teacher performance and student achievement data to assess participants’ effectiveness in raising student achievement
Provide key program support
- Establish relationships with stakeholders, including school administrators, curriculum specialists, and school based mentors, to build investment in TEACH Charlotte
- Contribute to organizational initiatives to improve instruction, including instructor quality and curricular knowledge development
The Effectiveness Coach reports to the Training and Effectiveness Manager.
We seek exceptional educators who believe deeply in our organization's mission, have a deep commitment to the importance of effective instruction, and who display a record of achievement in challenging situations. Successful candidates will also demonstrate:
- Support of alternative routes to teacher certification and an interest in working with new teachers
- Strong education background and instructional skill set with at least two years K-12 teaching experience (required), preferably in high-need schools or with high-need populations, and a track record of raising student achievement
- Understanding of effective teaching and how to observe teachers in action and diagnose key levers for improvement
- Ability to implement targeted interventions to immediately improve new teachers’ performance
- Ability to track and analyze data on teacher and student performance to uncover trends and act on the data strategically and effectively
- Previous experience developing and leading teacher professional development (preferred)
- Strong staff management experience or instincts
- Familiarity with North Carolina curriculum standards and teaching standards (preferred)
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced environment
- A commitment to producing consistently high quality, detailed work
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills
- Ability to work effectively with others at all levels of an organization and to demonstrate a high level of professionalism in all interactions
- Computer skills, specifically Microsoft Office suite
- Willingness to work non-standard hours and occasional weekends
The annual salary for this position is $60,000, or commensurate with experience in a similar position, with the potential for a performance based bonus.
TNTP offers a motivated team of dynamic colleagues, a collegial atmosphere that values professional development and valuable feedback, a comprehensive benefits plan effective on the first day of employment – including low cost medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, a 403(b) plan with matching, potential opportunities for performance based bonuses – as well as the chance to impact the direction of a growing, mission-driven company that is committed to the success of our nation’s children. For more information on TNTP’s competitive benefits package, please visit http://tntp.org/join/our-benefits/
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online at:
We review applications on a rolling basis – so it is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible. We will not consider applications without a cover letter tailored to this position, which can be addressed to the Human Capital Department. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check. TNTP is committed to fostering and capitalizing on the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply to this position.
TNTP strives to end the injustice of educational inequality by providing excellent teachers to the students who need them most and by advancing policies and practices that ensure effective teaching in every classroom. A national nonprofit organization founded by teachers, TNTP is driven by the knowledge that effective teachers have a greater impact on student achievement than any other school factor. In response, TNTP develops customized programs and policy interventions that enable education leaders to find, develop and keep great teachers. Since its inception in 1997, TNTP has recruited or trained approximately 43,000 teachers and worked with more than 200 districts in 31 states - benefiting an estimated 7 million students. Meanwhile, TNTP's acclaimed studies of the policies and practices that affect the quality of the teacher workforce -- most recently including The Widget Effect (2009) and Teacher Evaluation 2.0 (2010) -- have influenced federal education policy and inspired reform efforts across the country. TNTP is active in more than 25 cities, including 10 of the nation's 15 largest. For more information, please visit tntp.org.
|Location||Charlotte, NC, United States|
|Categories||Professional Development/Instructional Coach, Director/Manager/Coordinator|
|Organization Type||Non-profit Organization|
|Contact Name||Jen Moon|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|