Training and Instruction Manager - TNTP Academy Louisiana
The New Teacher Project | Baton Rouge LA 70801 USA | Full Time - 12 Month | Revised: 03/11/2012
Training and Instruction Manager – TNTP Academy LA
Baton Rouge Area
TNTP is currently seeking a full-time Training and Instruction Manager for our TNTP Academy in Louisiana. The Training and Instruction Manager will be a TNTP employee based in a home office in the Baton Rouge area. This position is available starting in June 2012. TNTP will also provide a relocation stipend to help defer the cost of moving.
New Teacher Effectiveness and TNTP Academy LA
TNTP’s New Teacher Effectiveness Group is responsible for recruiting great teachers to teach in high-need schools and subject areas, and for preparing those teachers to be immediately effective in the classroom. TNTP’s Teaching Fellows programs streamline the path to teaching for accomplished career changers and recent graduates. In 2011, TNTP recruited, selected and provided training to outstanding teachers in more than 20 cities and 18 states. In 9 of those states and the District of Columbia, TNTP is approved to recommend teachers for certification through our rigorous, relevant preparation model, TNTP Academy, which has been shown to produce highly effective teachers. Building on this strong track record, TNTP is pioneering an evaluation program to recommend certification only for teachers who demonstrate their ability to advance student learning.
In Louisiana, TNTP has managed such a program, TNTP Academy LA, since 2001, training and certifying individuals to teach in Louisiana’s most high-need public schools. For more information, please visit http://tntpacademylouisiana.ttrack.org/.
Role and Responsibilities
The Training and Instruction Manager shares responsibility for ensuring that Participants are highly effective teachers, through the successful execution of instructional programming and classroom observations and coaching.
Specifically, the Training and Instruction Manager will be responsible for:
Preparation and execution of a high quality certification experience by:
- Selecting, on-boarding and managing a team of Seminar Leaders (SLs) to the goal of training effective teachers and providing a high quality certification experience.
- Planning, coordinating and co-leading SL training
- Conducting and documenting regular structured observations of each SL to ensure high-quality instruction of all seminars
- Support SLs in successfully executing programmatic responsibilities, including Fellow progress reports and final evaluations, prescriptive plans, Teaching for Results (TfR) projects, literacy assessments, Participant evaluation, and administrative tasks
Coaching and developing first year Participants to ensure that teacher performance goals are met
- Conducting classroom observations of Participants in order to assess performance, provide concrete feedback, and identify next steps to improve student achievement
- Implementing a teacher coaching model that ensures rapid teacher growth
- Collecting and tracking teacher performance data and student achievement data
- Supporting a team of Effectiveness Coaches that are responsible for ensuring that teacher performance goals are met
Management of portfolio submissions, end of year evaluations, licensure recommendations and the implementation of the Assessment of Classroom Effectiveness
- Collaborating with the TNTP Academy Site Manager and TNTP Site Advisors to collect and analyze Participants’ student achievement data in order to understand Participants effectiveness and use student outcomes to make certification decisions
- Managing the certification decision process based on Assessments of Classroom Effectiveness
- Contributing to organizational initiatives to improve instruction, including instructor quality, strategic design implementation, and curricular knowledge development
- Managing the creation of intervention plans or action plans needed to address trends related to seminars
Provide key program support including:
- Building program relationships with key stakeholders, including school administrators, partner program staff, curriculum specialists, and school based mentors, in order to build investment and support of TNTP Academy LA
- Building and implementing effective communication with active Participants
- Ensuring that each group of Participants becomes a well-connected cohort of teachers with a positive culture
We are seeking candidates who believe deeply in our organization's mission, thrive in an entrepreneurial and dynamic environment, are solution oriented, possess a positive attitude and display a record of achievement. Successful candidates will also demonstrate:
- Support of alternative routes to teacher certification and an interest in working with new teachers
- Strong education background and instructional skill set with at least two years K-12 teaching experience (required), preferably in high-need schools or with high-need populations
- Comfort with piloting new approaches, assessing immediate impact, and holding self accountable for results
- Understanding of what effective teaching looks like when observing teachers and a deep commitment to the importance of effective instruction
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Evidence of strong leadership and facilitation skills
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills
- The ability to work effectively with others at all levels of an organization
- A willingness to work non-standard hours and occasional weekends as needed
- Previous experience developing and leading teacher professional development (strongly preferred)
- Experience teaching in Louisiana schools (preferred)
- Familiarity with Louisiana curriculum standards (preferred)
- Comfort working with computers and strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite (preferred)
The annual salary for this position is $60,000 or commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for a performance based bonus.
TNTP offers a motivated team of dynamic colleagues, a collegial atmosphere that values professional development and valuable feedback, a comprehensive benefits plan effective on the first day of employment – including low cost medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, a 403(b) plan with matching, potential opportunities for performance based bonuses – as well as the chance to impact the direction of a growing, mission-driven company that is committed to the success of our nation’s children. For more information on TNTP’s competitive benefits package, please visit http://tntp.org/join/our-benefits/
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online at: tp://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=THENEWTEACHERPROJECT&cws=1&rid=1147
We review applications on a rolling basis – so it is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible. We will not consider applications without a cover letter tailored to this position, which can be addressed to the Human Capital Department. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check. The New Teacher Project is committed to fostering and capitalizing on the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply to this position. If you would like to learn more about our mission, please visit our web site at www.tntp.org.
TNTP strives to end the injustice of educational inequality by providing excellent teachers to the students who need them most and by advancing policies and practices that ensure effective teaching in every classroom. A national nonprofit organization founded by teachers, TNTP is driven by the knowledge that effective teachers have a greater impact on student achievement than any other school factor. In response, TNTP develops customized programs and policy interventions that enable education leaders to find, develop and keep great teachers. Since its inception in 1997, TNTP has recruited or trained approximately 43,000 teachers and worked with more than 200 districts in 31 states - benefiting an estimated 7 million students. Meanwhile, TNTP's acclaimed studies of the policies and practices that affect the quality of the teacher workforce -- most recently including The Widget Effect (2009) and Teacher Evaluation 2.0 (2010) -- have influenced federal education policy and inspired reform efforts across the country.
TNTP is active in more than 25 cities, including 10 of the nation's 15 largest. For more information, please visit www.tntp.org.
|Location||Baton Rouge, LA, United States|
|Organization Type||Non-profit Organization|
|Teaching field||Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Special Education, Adult Education|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|