Director, DoDDS Pacific and DDESS Guam (Regional Superintendent for all DoDEA Pacific Schools)
Department of Defense Education Activity | Okinawa JPN | Full Time - 12 Month | Revised: 02/04/2013
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: SES-821501-TO
SALARY RANGE: $119,554.00 to $179,700.00 / Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: Monday, January 14, 2013 to Thursday, February 14, 2013
SERIES & GRADE: ES-1701-00
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time - Senior Executive Service (SES)
DUTY LOCATIONS: 1 vacancy in the following location:
Okinawa Island Japan
WHO MAY APPLY: All groups of qualified individuals. This is a Tier 1 position. Salaries for Tier 1 positions range from $119,554 to $165,300 per annum.
The Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) is seeking an exceptional educational leader with a proven record of success in Pre-K through 12th grade education innovation and reform. The position serves as Director, DoDDS, Pacific and DDESS, Guam in one of the nation's top tier school systems. DoDEA operates schools in military communities around the world to deliver a quality education to children of DoD personnel.
- This position is in the Senior Executive Service (SES), a small elite group of top government leaders. SES members possess a diverse portfolio of experiences including strong skills to lead across organizations.
- As an executive you will influence the direction of innovation and transformation of the federal government and lead the next generation of public servants.
- As Director, Department of Defense Dependent Schools (DoDDS), Pacific and Domestic Dependent Elementary and Secondary Schools (DDESS), Guam, you will be responsible for planning, formulating and developing the policies and programs in all areas of educational administration and support for DoDDS Pacific and DDESS Guam. This includes development and assessment of policies and programs to implement DoDEA's educational goals and initiatives.
- This position serves under the authority and direction of the Director, DoDEA which in turn reports to the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Readiness and Force Management) (R&FM). http://www.dodea.edu.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position.
- Designated and/or random drug testing is required.
- You must be able to obtain/maintain a Top Secret Security clearance.
- Please read the vacancy announcement in its entirety before applying.
- The incumbent provides organizational leadership in the areas of managing and directing educational programs and activities. Focus is on the organization, operation, administration, assessment and support of the school system.
- Develops programs designed to meet or exceed the performance, content, and character of high quality public school systems in large jurisdictions in the United States.
- Conducts comprehensive evaluations of the school system to determine compliance and tests the validity of policies and procedures.
- Represents the DoD/DoDEA with segments of the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of the Federal Government in DoD educational matters.
- Jointly with the Director, DoDEA plans, develops, and implements an effective and aggressive management control system to assess vulnerable program areas and promote avoidance of fraud, waste and abuse of Government resources.
- Supervises superintendents and program managers involved in the operation of DoDDS Pacific and DDESS Guam staff functions and field operations.
- Develops, directs, coordinates, and maintains an integrated financial program for DoDDS-Pacific including all fiscal operations and long-range planning activity.
To meet the minimum qualification requirements for this position, you must show that you possess the five Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs), Mandatory Technical Qualifications, and Education Requirement as listed below.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS: All applicants must submit written statements (narrative format) describing accomplishments that would satisfy the ECQs. You must address each ECQ separately. You are required to respond to all ECQs. If you fail to do so, you will be rated as 'ineligible.' Additional information on the ECQs is available at http://www.opm.gov/ses/recruitment/ecq.asp. Each accomplishment should be clear, concise, and emphasize your level of responsibilities, the scope and complexity of programs managed, and results of your action. Please limit your written statements to no more than two pages per ECQ.
ECQ 1 - Leading Change: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
ECQ 2 - Leading People: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
ECQ 3 - Results Driven: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
ECQ 4 - Business Acumen: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
ECQ 5 - Building Coalitions: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
DoD Joint Enterprise-Wide Experience Statement
In addition, DoD requires the Enterprise Perspective: Possess a broad point of view and an awareness and understanding of individual or organizational responsibilities in relation to DoD or government-wide strategic priorities. Executives should demonstrate ability to work with internal and external partners to support national security objectives. This perspective is typically gained through a variety of diverse work experiences. A separate narrative statement is not required. This information should be embedded within the application package (Resume, Technical Qualifications and Executive Core Qualifications).
MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS: All applicants must submit written statements (narrative format) of accomplishments that would satisfy the technical qualifications. You must address each technical qualification separately. You must address each technical qualification separately. You are required to respond to all of the technical qualifications. If you fail to do so, you will be rated as ineligible. Please limit your written statements to no more than two pages per technical qualification.
1. Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in leading and transforming a PreK-12th grade school system into a high performing student centered learning environment. Demonstrated ability in developing effective school leaders; building learning communities in schools; and monitoring through effective examination, assessment and supervision of instruction to ensure that the school system delivers high quality instruction to every student.
2. Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in leading strategic initiatives that improve student outcomes and ensures a high quality PreK-12th grade school system.
3. Demonstrated leadership and finely honed communication skills to effectively communicate with military commanders, parents, unions, stakeholders and school boards.
For the 1701 series, an Education Requirement is required.
A. Degree: that included or was supplemented by major study in education or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position. A copy of your transcript must be provided for verification of education.
B. Combination of education and experience--courses equivalent to a major in education or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position, plus appropriate experience or additional course work that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the 4 year course of study described in A above.
•All newly appointed career SES leaders must sign the Reassignment Rights Obligations Agreement as a condition of appointment into the SES.
•You must submit to a drug test and receive a negative drug test before you can be appointed into this position.
•In order to qualify for this position, you must be able to obtain a Top Secret (TS) security clearance.
•Submit application and resume online by 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time on Thursday, February 14, 2013.
•Provide all required documents by the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
You will be evaluated on the quality and extent of your total accomplishments, experience, and education. Your application will be evaluated by a rating and ranking panel, and highly qualified candidates may undergo an interview and a reference check. The Office of the Secretary of Defense Executive Resource Board (ERB) will review results and make recommendations on final selections to the appointing authority. Unless you have already been certified by an Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Review Board (QRB), your ECQs must be certified by an OPM QRB before appointment can occur.
There are a variety of benefits available to Federal Government employees. You will find specific information pertaining to those benefits at http://www.usajobs.opm.gov.e161.asp
- The individual selected will be required to file an 'Executive Branch Personnel Financial Disclosure Report' (OGE-278) in accordance with the Ethics in Government Act of 1978.
- Applications MUST be submitted through USA Jobs or in person. Faxed, mailed, or emailed applications will not be considered.
- You will serve a one-year probationary period unless you previously completed the probationary period in the SES.
- Veteran's preference does not apply to the Senior Executive Service.
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) expenses may be authorized.
HOW TO APPLY:
You must apply on-line. Applications must be received by Thursday, February 14, 2013.
TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION THROUGH USAJOBS: To apply online, view the vacancy announcement (SES-821501-TO) online at www.usajobs.gov. Once there, please select the 'Apply Online' button available on the right side column of the vacancy announcement page. Please note: your online resume may not be a complete application. Be sure to carefully read the vacancy announcement to see if additional information is required and how it should be submitted.
Please Note: Applications mailed in franked government envelopes will not be considered for this position.
Applicants who fail to submit all information and documents (i.e. a resume, ECQs, technical qualifications, and college transcripts, as applicable) WILL NOT receive consideration for the position.
If you upload your documents using Application Manager, do not fax the same documents. To verify whether your documents successfully uploaded, please wait at least one hour. If you have completed the application process online and were unable to upload your supporting documents, complete the cover page at the following link http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usacover.pdf using the following Vacancy ID and fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you are unable to apply online, you must fax the completed 1203FX (please only complete questions 1-8) form along with your complete application to 1-478-757-3144. The form 1203FX form will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission. The form can be found at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf. The complete Application Package (containing the required documents) must be received no later than 11:59 Eastern Standard Time on Thursday, February 14, 2013. If you cannot complete the application process using one of the options identified in the "How to Apply" section, please contact our office for alternate application procedures.
1. Resume - In addition to your written statements addressing the Executive Core Qualifications, the Technical Qualification(s), and other qualifications as applicable, submit a resume or any other written format your choose to describe your qualifications. Applicants typically provide the following information:
- Vacancy Identification Number - 821501
- Full name, email and mailing address, and day and evening telephone numbers
- Educational information including the name, city, and state of colleges or universities you attended, as well as the type of any degree received. Report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For more information, you may refer to the following U.S. Department of Education website: http://www.edu.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
- Information about your paid and nonpaid work experiences related to this position including: job title, duties and accomplishments, employer's name and address, duration of employment, and salary.
- Information about honors, awards, and special accomplishments.
2. Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs): A narrative statement specifically addressing each mandatory technical qualification. MTQ statements should not exceed two pages per MTQ (Ten pages maximum).
3. Mandatory ECQ statements. A narrative statement specifically addressing each individual ECQ. In lieu of the narrative statement, current Career SES members, reinstatement eligibles, and SES Candidate Development Program (CDP) graduates must provide the documentation in #4.
4. Copy of Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50): Current and former Career SES members must provide an SF-50 showing their status or reinstatement eligibility. Candidates who have successfully completed an Office of Personnel Management approved SES CDP must submit a copy of their ECQ certification.
5. College Transcripts: A copy of your college transcripts must be submitted for this position. Please refer to the Education section of this announcement.
Please Note: All current or prior civilian federal government applicants must submit a copy of their Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) to receive consideration for this announcement.
PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Extraneous materials such as award, certificates, and/or recommendation letters will not be considered.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Executive and Political Personnel
4800 Mark Center Drive Ste 03D08Alexandria, VA 22350-3200
|Categories||CEO/Superintendent/President, Director/Manager/Coordinator, Law/Policy|
|Contact Name||Teresa Oliver|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Primary Phone||(703) 693-8548|