Nelson County Public Schools (Virginia) | Lovingston VA 22949 USA | Full Time - School Year | Revised: 09/23/2013
NELSON COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
The Nelson County School Board invites applications for the position of Superintendent. The anticipated date of hire is January 1, 2014.
Nelson County is located in Central Virginia midway between the metropolitan areas of Charlottesville and Lynchburg. Nestled between the Blue Ridge Mountains and the James River, the county has a total area of 471 square miles. A large portion of the western section of the county is in the George Washington National Forest. Nelson County is home to Wintergreen Resort, Walton’s Mountain, and Crabtree falls as well as an eclectic community of approximately 15,000 people. Interstate I-64 is a major thoroughfare at the north end of the county.
Nelson County Public Schools consists of four schools: Rockfish River Elementary, located in the northern part of the county; Tye River Elementary, located in the southern part; and the combined campus of Nelson Middle School and Nelson County High School located in the county seat of Lovingston. Nelson is a small division, around 2,000 students, that maintains a positive culture and commitment to excellence in education. All four schools are fully accredited by the Virginia Department of Education.
- Successful experience as an administrator with a professional background that includes finance, instruction and personnel leadership. Experience as a principal and teacher is desired.
- Demonstrated evidence of continuing advanced studies; doctorate preferred.
- Strong record of successful experience with Virginia Standards.
- Shared decision-making approach to administration; effective leadership in goal setting and planning.
- Assures accessibility and maintains a high profile in the schools and in the community.
- Advocates effectively on behalf of the schools of Nelson County.
- Demonstrates superior ethics, personal integrity and proven leadership abilities. Ability to recruit and retain high quality staff and encourage professional growth.
- Organized and efficient in operating the school system.
- Interacts in a positive manner with employees, parent organizations, students, civic groups and community businesses.
- Qualifications include being listed on the “Eligible List of Division Superintendents” approved by the Virginia Board of Education. Questions concerning the eligibility requirement should be directed to Patty S. Pitts, State Department of Education, PO Box 2120, Richmond, VA 23218-2120; telephone (804)225-2022.
The candidate selected for the position must agree to become a resident of Nelson County.
Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Applications and supporting documents should be submitted on or before October 18, 2013 to:
J. David Parr, Chair
Nelson County School Board
PO Box 61
Lovingston, VA 22949
The Virginia School Boards Association is assisting the School Board with the search process. Candidates should not make contact with individual Nelson County School Board members. Inquiries should be directed to Ms. Gina Patterson, Deputy Executive Director (434) 295-8722, Virginia School Boards Association, 200 Hansen Road, Suite 2, Charlottesville, VA 22911 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like an electronic version of the application, please visit the VSBA website at www.vsba.org. For general information on Nelson County schools please visit the school website at https://sites.google.com/a/nelson.k12.va.us/ncps/.
|Location||Lovingston, VA, United States|
|Contact Name||Gina Patterson|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|