Superintendent Tazewell County Public Schools
Tazewell County Public Schools | Tazewell VA 24651 USA | Full Time - School Year | Revised: 02/06/2013
Announcement of Superintendent Search
Tazewell County Public Schools
Tazewell, Virginia 24651-0927
The School Board of Tazewell County Public Schools invites applications and nominations for the position of Superintendent.
Tazewell County nurtures a special position in the majestic Appalachian Mountains of southwest Virginia. The Nature Conservancy declared the Clinch River Basin to be one of only twenty “Last Great Places” in the world (1990), and this basin, supporting “…the world’s largest collection of rare and endangered fresh water species,” begins in Tazewell County. Tazewell County, Virginia has a rich heritage with beautiful scenery. Nestled in the Appalachian Mountains of Southwest Virginia we are a vacation and sportsman's paradise. This Southwestern Virginia County lies on the Alleghany Plateau and is characterized by its mountainous terrain. Become immersed in nature's grandeur as you wander off the main roads, hike along the Appalachian Trail, or enjoy a pioneering experience in a reconstructed pioneer settlement and museum. Tazewell County offers many activities for every age.
The Tazewell County School division seeks an exemplary superintendent to lead its Pre-K-12 school division which is located in majestic southwest Virginia. The division, a state and nationally recognized leader in innovative education, serves multiple communities with a population of 45,000. With strong community support and an excellent staff, the division is committed to serving a diverse student population of 6300 students in 9 elementary schools, 3 middle schools, 3 high schools, and a career and technical education center. An operating budget of $61.2 million supports the educational services of the division. Tazewell County Public Schools is supported by 500 professional instructional personnel, 34 administrative personnel and 428 support personnel.
- Preferred background should include experience as a superintendent or central office administrator.
- Is familiar with the process of curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Is a decisive leader, but remains open to the team approach in decision-making.
- Is accessible and maintains a high profile of visibility within the schools and community.
- Advocates effectively on behalf of the schools in Tazewell County.
- Demonstrates superior ethics, personal integrity and proven leadership abilities.
- Creates an atmosphere of trust and mutual respect by maintaining open channels of communication.
- Understands school finance, budgeting, business operations, personnel management, and school regulations.
- Has the ability to recruit and retain top-quality staff members.
- Interacts in a positive manner with employees, organizations, students, civic groups and community businesses.
- Qualification for the Eligibility List of Superintendents in Virginia. (Questions concerning the eligibility requirements should be directed to Patty S. Pitts, Office of Licensure, Virginia State Department of Education, P.O. Box 2120, Richmond, VA 23218-2120; Telephone (804) 225-2022.
- The candidate selected for the position must agree to become a resident of Tazewell County.
Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Applications and supporting documents should be submitted on or before February 22, 2013 to: Mr. Michael Dennis, Chair
Tazewell County School Board
P.O. Box 536
Tazewell, VA 24651
The Virginia School Boards Association is assisting the School Board with the search process. Candidates should not make contact with individual Tazewell County School Board members. Inquiries should be directed to Ms. Gina Patterson, Deputy Executive Director (434) 295-8722, Virginia School Boards Association, 200 Hansen Road, Suite 2, Charlottesville, VA 22911 or email@example.com. If you would like an electronic version of the application, please visit the VSBA website at www.vsba.org. For additional information on Tazewell County schools please visit the school website at tazewell.k12.va.us.
|Location||Tazewell, VA, United States|
|Contact Name||Gina Patterson|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|