Deputy for School Support
XQ Institute | Oakland CA 94607 USA | Full Time - 12 Month | Revised: 04/17/2017
In the past 100 years, we have gone from a Model T to a Tesla, from a switchboard to a smartphone, yet the very institution charged with preparing America’s students for success has remained virtually unchanged. Our students deserve better. It’s from that conviction – and commitment – that XQ Institute was born.
In 2016, XQ Institute launched XQ: The Super School Project engaging America in answering the question: What would high school look like if all students graduated prepared for college, career, and life? We issued the largest open call to rethink American public high school in our country’s history. In September 2016, we announced a cohort of 10 Super Schools who will be supported by XQ to bring their ideas to life, many opening in Fall 2017. XQ isn’t just about ideas, it’s about enduring impact; about inspiring and amplifying meaningful, measurable solutions, and real results, in high schools from Connecticut to California, and every state in-between.
To meet our ambitious goals, XQ is looking for a Deputy for the School Support whose primary responsibility will be to build our XQ Super School cohort and advance our collective knowledge and implementation.
The Deputy will have a direct and immediate impact on the success of the XQ Super School cohort and other awardees by partnering with the Senior School Support Strategist to develop the school teams into a supportive cohort that contribute to one another’s development and implementation capacity. The Deputy will be a critical thought partner to the Senior School Support Strategist, schools and XQ partners.
XQ is seeking a motivated, enthusiastic, and highly organized individual who has national experience in high school redesign, within a district, charter management organization, or school development organization.
Develop and oversee an infrastructure that fosters learning amongst the XQ Schools and Awardees, including:
- Plan, promote, and manage events and activities that develop a sense of community across the cohort including: online learning opportunities and events, regional and national meetings and school site visits.
- Facilitate cross site communication on successes and challenges as well as strategic or tactical ideas.
- Help create processes and opportunities to capture and share knowledge.
Support Super School Relationship Building, Case Management, and Implementation Support
- Build authentic and supportive working relationships with School Teams to empower them to utilize XQ, trust XQ’s recommendations and strategies, and collaborate to meet goals.
- Help Senior School Strategist curate and document aspects of the school’s development and progress.
- Help address and coordinate requests made by Super School Teams and by XQ
- Help distribute key information, responding rapidly to inquiries in coordination with the School Support Associate and Senior Strategist, including researching and organizing information and drafting summative reports/memos.
Other School Support Team Responsibilities
- Support development of XQ tools that can be used with the Cohort, Awardees and other school builders
- Help adapt and develop communication flow and systems for the various work streams
- Help track deliverables, next steps, resources, and School Support projects.
- 10 years of experience in high school redesign, preferably in low income and minority communities
- Experience with technical assistance or professional development
- Experience working with networks as learning communities
- Experience with systems, districts, charter management or school development organizations.
- Attainment of a Master’s Degree in Education or a related field
Key Skills of the Ideal Candidate
This role draws on various skill sets, most notably experience and an aptitude for supporting learning across a cohort, creating a learning community and understanding high school redesign. Writing and communication skills are essentials as is developing and coordinating interactive webinars or virtual learning experiences.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing
- Inspiring and Relational Leadership
- Cross-Functional Vision
- Education Perspective
- Deep School Systems Experiences
- Strategic and creative problem solver
- Proven ability to work with and collaborate with a small and diverse team
- Thrives in a fast paced, high intensity environment
- Flexible and willing to perform other tasks as assigned
- Self-starter, who enjoys working independently
- A pattern of executing against goals on time and to high standards
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to develop relationships with a wide range of individuals
- Ability to travel ~50% of the time.
- XQ Institute offers competitive benefits and salary for this role.
XQ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. At XQ promoting, celebrating, and supporting diversity is a core value. Individuals are considered without regards to race, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual expression, religion, color, veteran status, disability, marital status, or ancestry.
|Location||Oakland, CA, United States|
|Organization Type||Non-profit Organization|
|Experience Years||10 yrs|
|How to apply||Employer provided a link where your application will be accepted. Click on the link below and follow instructions.|
|Apply||Click Here (apply to job)|