The Howe School | Howe IN 46746 USA | Full Time - School Year | Revised: 05/22/2013
Job Description and
Full Time ESL Teacher
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Employer: The Howe School
Type: Full time/Faculty
Education: Bachelor (minimum) with ESL Certification
The Howe School is a small (120 students), co-ed college preparatory independent, boarding and day school serving grades 7-12. The Howe School has a distinguished JROTC program. International student numbers are growing and currently represent 10% of the student body.
The Howe School’s Guiding Principles:
The Howe School is dedicated to providing an approach that develops the whole cadet through rigorous academics and spiritual formation. Welcoming students of all faiths, we maintain a close relationship with the Episcopal Church and JROTC. Through the three facets of The Howe School, we intend to develop self-discipline, strong moral character, physical well-being, leadership, citizenship, logical thinking and communication skills. The school attempts to nurture within each cadet a sense of responsibility toward all races and socioeconomic classes, and to instill a set of values which will lead the cadet to serve others in the community and country in a useful way.
Please visit our website for more information at www.thehoweschool.org
The Howe School seeks a skilled and enthusiastic ESL teacher, preferably withexperience, to lead the ESL program and to teach sections of ESL with a focus on Academic English. The successful applicant will work closely with English Language Learners (ELL) in grades 7-12 to improve their Academic English preparing them for in-depth literature analysis, scientific concepts and reading subject area textbooks. Providing additional support, outside of class, for ELL students is expected. A dynamic and caring personality, a proven track record of raising Academic English standards and an education specializing in ESL for ELL is essential. Continuous collaboration with other teachers and providing support, resources and professional development to the entire faculty is expected. Establishing and teaching an “early entry” program for new international students for three weeks prior to the start of the new academic year is required. The position may also entail coaching a sport/ activity, leading a field trip and other student focused functions. Previous work in a boarding school setting is preferred. The Howe School is multi-cultural and experience and teaching students from a variety of cultures is highly valued. The position begins August 2013.
- Willingness to wholeheartedly engage in all facets of boarding school life including advising, coaching, and attending/supervising weekend functions as needed in a positive, upbeat, and caring manner
- Bachelor degree with ESL/TEOFL certification
- Indiana teaching certification, or ability to obtain certification
- Experience in a proven ESL program is preferred
- Ability to interact in a positive manner with other faculty to best facilitate a cadet’s learning experience
- Outstanding record keeping practices to facilitate data gathering to advise cadets and their families of ESL progress, and facilitate the modification of instruction and the program as needed
- Ability to instruct one-on-one, small group, large group, or to shadow a student in another instructor’s classrooms
- Maintain professional development to keep abreast of proven ESL practices
- Maintain membership in ESL professional organizations
Please review The Howe Schools web page and our Facebook, Twitter, and Blog accounts at: http://thehoweschool.org prior to submitting your application materials.
Please send cover letter and resume, including two professional and two personal references with the subject heading ‘ESL Position’ to the attention of: LDefelice@thehoweschool.org
No phone calls please, screened applicants will be contacted for an initial telephone interview.
|Location||Howe, IN, United States|
|Organization Type||Independent/Private School|
|Grade Level||Middle School/Junior High, High School|
|Contact Name||Leanne Defelice|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|